Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Novice

seelbach dream tasting?

Hello,
    It has long been my intention to have a once in a lifetime tasting. As a Cincinnati resident, the Old Seelbach Bar is my choice for this experience. Any advice would be appreciated. Tastes run to big firey spicy heavy on the rye as opposed to wheat, higher proof, ice water on the side (ro or better) big balloon snifters (is that uncool?) Generaly like little copper pot stills, malty tastes... Also any tips on conduct, tipping...got a room reserved. Any thing not to be missed at the lower 3 digets price range?
    Thanks in advance,
    Robert

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

Re: seelbach dream tasting?

I must admit even being a Lville native, the Seelbach has not been on my list of bars to frequent...I was a groomsman at a wedding there, but at the rehearsal we went to the bar and bought martinis, dry with a twist, as is my modus operandi. The drinks were splendid, but don't recall the bourbon list.
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

Guru

I suppose it would be gauche to provide a bourbon list on a website. This is as close as I found.

However, there could be a bourbon list available at the bar. A letter to the catering manager might get you a copy.

Slide number four in the photo gallery is a picture of the bar. The array of bottles visible in the background is less than impressive. The only bourbon label I can make out is Knob Creek. Its prominent position suggests there may be slimmer pickings than one might imagine.

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield
    Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

Dog Lover, Euphonium Player, Campfire Guitarist, Marksman,

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by bluesbassdad View Post
    I suppose it would be gauche to provide a bourbon list on a website....

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield
    For the life of me I can't understand why. Perhaps liquor, unlike wine, is something that isn't talked about in polite company. I say that in jest, sort of anyway. But the lack of a "available spirits" lists on web sites and restaurant menus leaves me to wonder.

Being someone who likes bourbon as an accompaniment to steak or sometimes even prime rib (although a full bodied cab is in most cases a better choice with prime rib) It is doubly irritating.

If I intend on an evening out where I'm going to spend a large chunk of cash I like to know what is on the restaurant's bill of fair before choosing that restaurant. That is after all the purpose of visiting their web site.

Taster

this is also on their web site:

Bourbon Menu

Max’s bar, which services The Oakroom, has distinguished itself as the Bourbon bar of Kentucky. Max’s bar lead by Mixologist Janet South has over 40 Bourbons to chose from. If you cannot decide on just one, let Janet put together her Bourbon tasting for you.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

I like the Seelbach, hotel and bar. By "bar" I mean the Old Seelbach Bar on the first floor. I don't know from Max's Bar, but the Oakroom restaurant is upstairs (and very good). The Old Seelbach Bar has a good selection, just about anything you could ask for.

However, they won't be able to help you with "little copper pot stills, malty tastes," as there is no such thing in the American whiskey world. On the other hand, prices are moderate and although the room is very elegant, it's not stuffy or formal. Casual dress is no problem. Tipping is no different than it is anywhere. A "normal" bar tip is a dollar per drink.

Also good and nearby is the Maker's Mark bar, which also has a nice atmosphere and a great selection, not limited to Maker's Mark. While that Fourth Street Live area is okay, I recommend walking south to Main Street and taking in the river view. The bar at 21c has a terrific bourbon selection too. Of course, virtually every bar in Louisville has a better bourbon selection than just about any bar outside of Kentucky.

Novice

Thanks for all the thoughtful replies.
    I particularly appreciated the important clue about "malty pot still" being nonsense without calling me an idiot. I confess, without meaning to digress off topic, to more experience with the Irish. Much better for me to be stupid here than in person.
    I came up with the Seelbach idea based on some back issue of Esquire magazine "best of" piece
    As far as the tip question, I was wondering about the tasting thing rating more than simply pouring drinks.
    I will study the other threads before asking more questions.
    And thanks again, Robert
    Last edited by jbarlycorn; 09-09-2007 at 07:52.

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

The Seelbach Bar totally is a great place to get a drink, it just might not be the place to get your hands on the widest selection of bourbon in the world. Wonderful place to take friends, celebrate a promotion, just a damn nice place to live the good life. There is a lot of history there. The history of the place is why it makes lists like Esquires'.

And don't be afraid to ask questions. That's what forums are for.
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    I like the Seelbach, hotel and bar. By "bar" I mean the Old Seelbach Bar on the first ...

On the other hand, prices are moderate and although the room is very elegant, it's not stuffy or formal. Casual dress is no problem.
    I'm with you here, Chuck. in addition to a great selection and a very knowledgable bar staff, The Seelbach just "feels right".
    John B

"Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons… that is all there is to distinguish us from other animals."

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

About the only bar in Louisville that is more storied than the Seelbach is the billiard room bar at the Pendennis Club, but that's members-only. A drink at the Seelbach is essential for a whiskey lover visiting Louisville, but Bourbon's Bistro is a much better place to do a more-or-less formal tasting.