Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    The Boss

Re: With Water From the Brita?

Quote Originally Posted by melting View Post
    I think you're all doing yourselves a diservice by using filtered water. I let the impurities right into my body so that my immune system can just keep on fighting. Don't ever give it a break.

Chris
    Yep. That's why I just drink my used Mobil 1 5W-30 instead of recycling it. Cleans the system out right on down the line and reduces friction, even at high operating temperatures.
    Jim Butler
    Straightbourbon.com

Bad Girl and Bourbonian Of The Year 2012

JIM!!! LMAO!!!

Aquafina....same as Evian! (What is Evian spelled backwards....'naive' yup.....they got you too?!?!)

Dawn

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by special_reserve View Post
    Detroit has very good water, I drink it, or filtered water from my refrigerator for diluting drinks.
    My parents live in the Upper Peninsula and their water has a faint smell after it goes through their Culligan filter system but it's drinkable.

Our water in Detroit is excellent but smells a bit of chlorine out the tap. My Brita slim pitcher filters and keeps it cold in the summer to drink. While drinking my WTKS neat, I remembered reading a post on the site about water/ice cubes etc. making their bourbon cloudy. "In the name of science", I used water from the pitcher and found it did not cloud up my drink. I also found out it really opens up the flavors in the WTKS.

I now like it neat and with a splash of water.

In closing, for those who do not like the fact that adding water (if that's your thing) makes your drink opaque. I have found that the use of the Brita water filters eliminated this reaction.

Cheers!
    "So long as the presence of death lurks with anyone who goes through the simple act of swallowing, I will make mine whiskey"

Novice

Quote Originally Posted by ILLfarmboy View Post
    Around here that means a high probability of hydrogen sulfide
    I used to love "sulfur water" as a child ... ice cold. I haven't had it since then. If anyone else liked the stuff, have you used it as something to cut your liquor? It seems it would over power the subtle characteristics of the whiskey. Maybe just a spash? Just wondering.

EDIT: I always thought it was the chill that clouded whiskey ... damn, I have a lot to learn, but that is why I'm here.
    Last edited by cousin it; 09-11-2007 at 07:00.
    Whiskey burps, God love 'em

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by melting View Post
    I think you're all doing yourselves a diservice by using filtered water. I let the impurities right into my body so that my immune system can just keep on fighting. Don't ever give it a break.
    Well we ARE using Brita instead of Pur, so that lets SOME of the impurities through. All things in moderation my friend, all things in moderation.
    Ron

ECONOMY, n. Purchasing the barrel of whiskey that you do not need for the price of the cow you cannot afford”
    - Ambrose Bierce

Guru

I've never get any opacity from adding either filtered or non-filtered water to bourbon. There may be a momentary effect of the two liquid mixing which disappears when mixing is completed usually within a couple of seconds.

Cheer.

Will

Virtuoso

In my town, the city water used to be from wells, and quite hard. A few years ago, once the newcomers thoroughly outnumbered the old-timers, they voted to pipe in Lake Michigan water from Chicago, at 4x the price. As a result, the water softener is now out of use, but the house still has a reverse osmosis filter providing drinking/cooking/icemaker water, and it is nothing short of fantastic.

Any cocktails I mix use ice made from filtered water, and if I add any water to my whiskey, it comes from the RO tap.
    Oh no! You have walked into the slavering fangs of a lurking grue!

Guru

prior to living here we lived for a short time in a small town (pop. 300) serviced by a series of community wells. There we had a water softener. I had grown up with soft water my wife had not. So it was my idea to get the softner wich I thought at the time might take out the slight sulfur odour. It didn't. Mind you it wasn't that bad. Bathing in it wasn't a problem. But I'm picky about drinking water. My wife called Culligan and had an RO system installed. When she told me they were to install an "under the sink filter system" the next day, I was skeptical at first. I had had no experience with reverse osmosis filters but had, many years earlier, plenty of experience with other "under the sink filter systems" which simply didn't work as advertised. My skepticism was unfounded! The RO system worked beautifully!

When we moved we took the RO with us. But found it unnecessary once the "Iron-cleer" was installed. No sense in continuing to rent it from Culligan. Incidentally the "Iron-cleer" we bought outright. Culligan didn't/doesn't rent those out. 1700 bucks installed, but it's worth every penny. In retrospect I wish we had taken the softener with us but we sold it with the house. The water here isn't what most people would call hard but it isn't completely soft either. Well, not as soft as I was use to growing up anyway.

I wached the guy from Culligan install the "Iron-cleer", lending a hand when I could and asking questions along the way. I like to know how things work. Anyhow, one of the most interesting things he told me is their biggest obstacle is "people don't know what good water is". After getting a softener they will complain "their skin feels so slick" after getting out of the shower. Well, duh! That's your skin's natural oils. Something you aren't use to. I had heard this very complaint about my parents' water from my wife when we were dating and she would stay out at the farm on weekends, along with "I can't get all the soap out". Well, honey your using too much soap. There's a lot of ignorance about water. I think that's why bottled water sells so well. Which is why I'm always amused by threads like this one.

Distilled or reverse osmosis treated water would be the natural choice for diluting your whiskey. After all isn't that what the distilleries use when they dilute from barrel proof to bottling proof?