Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Advanced Taster

Re: BOTM 9/07: Elijah Craig 18yo

This is one of my favorites. It takes bourbon to a whole new level. It's adventerous, challenging, edgy, dark.... and by god it works! It really pushes the boundry of my understanding of bourbon; and for that, I love it!
    Kevin

"Why don't you quit cryin' and get me some bourbon?"

It took me a lot of chasing (over 2 years) to finally get some of this to Australia, before I discovered this site. All I can say is it was worth the wait. It always has a place on my shelf, and I make it last!
    I will have some this week to coincide with the KBF/Boone events.

Scott
    "I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day" - Frank Sinatra

Novice

My brother was kind enough to buy me a bottle of EC18 for my birthday.
    It is a great bourbon, although you do have to be in the right mood to for it.
    It isn't an everyday bourbon like say, Makers Mark but if you are in the mood for something with powerful flavors, it hits the spot!

I don't know what EC does to it's bourbon but it is alway uniquely different. Other bourbons have their own flavors, nuances but EC has strikingly different flavors---which is not a bad thing.....

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff G. View Post
    EC has strikingly different flavors---which is not a bad thing
    That is how I would have to describe EC18. It is the most unique bottle of Bourbon that I have tasted. When I first tasted it, I found the wood flavor over whelming.
    The only other Bourbon with any real "age" that I have tried was the PVW 20 and I find the two as far apart in flavor as EC 12 is from EC 18.
    If someone has several bottles of Bourbon for freinds to try, this one should be on the shelf.
    For me the nose is full of smokey oak...the char flavor is intense but not unpleasent, the finish is slightly bitter. My bottle is a couple years old, so maybe the newer versions vary?
    It stands alone I think in my brief Bourbon history. The flavor so different, not bad, just different.
    Todd

Connoisseur

Somewhat shame-faced, I have to admit that I have never tried this bourbon. All the details Ive gotten over the years seem to scream out loud: too old! Well, too old for my tastes, at least.

I cannot rule out a future purchase but for the moment I opt for EWSB or McKenna Bib when I pick a quality bourbon from HH.
    Delighted to see you if you can find me!

Virtuoso

Well since work has dictated my schedule for this years event , I thought I'd reach for the back of the bar and get this bottle out.
    Elijah Craig 18 year old
    Barreled 9-13-82
    Barrel # 451

I will agree with most of the comments posted on this bottle, the finish is so very unique! The woodyness sweetens and drys the pallate. This bottle really has a lot to say (it will soon be in the empty's post). The replacement is from 89, the year I graduated HS, can't wait to see what this one has to offer.

Cheer's to the Festival and all you SB.comers attending, I can not wait to read the posts when everyone returns.
    "So long as the presence of death lurks with anyone who goes through the simple act of swallowing, I will make mine whiskey"

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by ACDetroit View Post
    The replacement is from 89, the year I graduated HS, can't wait to see what this one has to offer.
    My first bottle (and I'm only on my second) was from that year--also my H.S. graduation date--and it was outstanding. The second--from Binny's--which I recently opened, has been equally as good, yet surpisingly more mellow (younger I assume).

Needless to say, this rates up among my top Bourbons. Because of it's uniqueness, I love it. My tastes tend to move toward more dynamic profiles and the EC18 certainly fits the bill.

I might even go so far as to say it is the "Islay Malt" of Bourbon--also my favorite style of Scotch.
    "It hasn't cured my broken heart, but it sure helps a lot."
    -Ernest Tubb

Connoisseur

An excellent choice this month
    Tim

To alcohol! The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems.

Connoisseur

The tasting notes match perfectly with how I remember EC18.

A few years back a friend of mine encouraged me to purchase a bottle of EC18, saying it was one of his two favorite bourbons (Bookers being the other one). I was just beginning my serious bourbon explorations, and took his advice.

I hated it.

After a few pours I gave it to him, and I think a dirty look may have accompanied the "gift."

Since then, my tastes have changed dramatically and my knowledge has expanded. Perhaps it's time I revisit what has been for me an oppugnant pour.

Mark

I love him whose soul squanders itself, who wants no thanks...for he always gives away and does not want to preserve himself.
    -Nietzsche

Disciple

Not one of my favorite bourbons on its own merits. That said, it just may be the SUPERLATIVE cigar whiskey! The extra aging seems to lend notes to the whiskey that blend well with some of the stronger smokes I have.

TomC