Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Connoisseur

Re: BOTM 9/07: Elijah Craig 18yo

Hmm, good advice. I'll definitely try it in that venue.

Mark

I love him whose soul squanders itself, who wants no thanks...for he always gives away and does not want to preserve himself.
    -Nietzsche

Virtuoso

Two thumbs up on the EC 18, I love it. I bought a bottle for some friends a month ago or so and they were kind enough to share some with me. It instantly became my favorite bourbon.
    I was in Kentucky recently (first day of the Bourbon Fest, which I had to miss) and had a day off, so my wife and I took the tour at Heaven Hill. It was great, and the tasting was fun, although it seemed I was the only bourbon fan there. We all dug the EC 18. Incidentally, there was a barrel in the rickhouse that had recently been discovered that nobody could identify. It looked very, very old, nearly black and covered in what looked like mineral deposits, I assume from whatever leaches out of the barrel. Intriguing.
    Got some Glencairn glasses while there, very nice, but had to skip buying a bottle of the EC 18, as I can get two bottles here in NH for just a bit more than they charge in the HH gift shop. I ended up finding a couple of bottles of Four Roses Single Barrel in a crummy little liquor store to bring back and have been very impressed with this as well.
    In any case, three cheers to the good folks at HH. I'll finish my bottle tonight but there's another on the horizon I'm sure.
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Luna56 View Post
    Incidentally, there was a barrel in the rickhouse that had recently been discovered that nobody could identify. It looked very, very old, nearly black and covered in what looked like mineral deposits, I assume from whatever leaches out of the barrel. Intriguing.
    They'll probably bottle it and send it to Japan, they'll pay big bucks for that!

Scott
    "I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day" - Frank Sinatra

Connoisseur

As a bourbon novice, this one took no getting used to. Probably the wood and smoke and earthiness appealed to my single malt pallet. I'll say the same about Pappy 12 lot B, 20, and 23, and Four Roses single barrel.

Stu

Enthusiast

Excellent choice for this months selection. I'll admit that I only drink it about once a month or so. It's perfect for Friday night out back sitting by the fire.

Chris

Novice

Forgot this thread was here, posted below.

I shared a bottle with friends at the lake last weekend. It was well enjoyed by all. Everyone was surprised at the lack of heavy bite considering it's 90 proof.

I tried it with a little water. BAD idea... usually I find a little water opens up a good boubon. With the EJ18 it makes it bitter.. go figure......

Jeff

Connoisseur

At the risk of asking a silly question, what kind of water did you use? Some tap water has chemicals that can mix poorly with whiskey.

Mark

I love him whose soul squanders itself, who wants no thanks...for he always gives away and does not want to preserve himself.
    -Nietzsche

Novice

Quote Originally Posted by mgilbertva View Post
    At the risk of asking a silly question, what kind of water did you use? Some tap water has chemicals that can mix poorly with whiskey.
    Fiji water from a bottle.

Disciple

(Somehow I always find the BOTM thread a month after it closes, but by happy coincidence I found myself with a glass of EC18 the other night, watching the Red Sox trounce the Rockies!)

First tried this in a restaurant and was delighted by the oak on the nose -- the most distinctive characteristic of this bourbon. Pleased with consistency between that first pour and the two bottles I've gone through. The age dampens the distinctive HH mint/menthol/eucalyptus flavor, revealing a robust warm mouthfeel, and for me the char doesn't appear until the finish (more so in my 2nd bottle than the first -- I settle it with a sip of the ice water back.) I actually get more smoke out of some of the older EWSB than the EC18. I've tried the EW 23yo overseas and that one's nothing but charcoal to me.

A great sipping bourbon to contemplate... one of my favorites.