Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What to give a non-whiskey drinker?

Here's a challenge for all of you. I've been trying to get a non-whiskey drinking friend of mine to... well, drink whiskey. He insists he doesn't like anything besides beer, wine, and sweet cocktails, but I'm sure if I can find the right whiskey I can get him hooked.

Being a bourbon fan, I first tried to get him into that. I got him to try Maker's Mark, since it's the lightest flavored bourbon that I have. Unfortunately, he didn't like it. Based on that, I'm wondering if bourbon might be too strong to start him on, and that maybe a lighter flavored Scotch might work. Unfortunately, I know very little about Scotch. Any thoughts on a bottling that might be good to get a newbie started on (keeping in mind he didn't like Maker's)? Any thoughts would be appreciated!
    "It can giggle all it wants. The galaxy's not getting any of our bourbon!"

Connoisseur

Re: What to give a non-whiskey drinker?

Aberfeldy is reasonably priced, fairly sweet and takes ice pretty well. The only thing better would be Glen Elgin and you can't get that in the US.
    Illuminati in training

Disciple

When I worked in a liquor store, I always tried to convert people to bourbon.
    What cocktails does your friend like? We can work from there.

Jeff Mo.

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

He likes sweet drinks...start with a selection of bourbon based cocktails...this is the long, slow way to do it, but is most likely to get the desired results...given enough time.

Bourbon sours, collins and such would be a good starting point, maybe even irish coffees, just to get a whiakey taste going...as he gets more accustomed to the flavors you can work to less sweet/dilute cocktails...bourbon and cokes and such.

The other option is to just let him drink what he likes and enjoy his company because he is himself, not try to change him into something else...a true friend is someone you prefer to spend time with regardless of any differences of opinion and true friends are too hard to come by to mess them up.
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

Virtuoso

If you were going to go the Scotch route, Aberlour, Balvenie, or Glenrothes would do well - they aren't peaty. Irish whiskey would be worth trying as well; Powers is inexpensive and tasty, Redbreast is pricey but outstanding.
    Last edited by CrispyCritter; 09-11-2007 at 22:04. Reason: more detail
    Oh no! You have walked into the slavering fangs of a lurking grue!

Disciple

Got any more info on his regular drinks? Dark beer, white wine, something else completly?

Jeff Mo.

i think that one of the best introductory whiskys would be the MIDDLETON veryrare, because of its mild taste and low burnfactor and the full flavor.

Or

the 15 year old Readbreast....

i know,,,both of them are a bit expencive, but you said its for a friend

Glen Mhor

Enthusiast

Try a Dalwhinnie or a Glenkinchie both nice easy whiskies light sweetish and not to complex or give him a whisky that`s finished on Port(sweet)or Sherry(dryish)barrels to show him what a wine can do with it.A nice smooth Speysider will be a good choice as well.Don`t give him Islaywhisky or he`ll never drink our heavenly poison again .Succes!
    Eric.
    Netherlands

Connoisseur

I like the idea of trying some of the sweeter cocktails.

If that doesn't work, you might want to try other distilled spirits before jumping straight to whisky/whiskey. While I never push my wine/sweet tropical drink wife to spirits (don't want to have to share the good stuff) she does occasionally taste different things. The first distilled spirit that she really seemed to enjoy straight was Pyrat Special Reserve Rum. This might be a good transitional drink to try.

Tom

Taster

I'm going to second the Irish Whiskey on this. Powers and regular Jameson might do the trick. Start with the Powers though. Both of these are pretty tasty neat, on the rocks, and in simple cocktails. Mix them with Coke, or better yet mix them with ginger ale. Then maybe try some Bushmills as a good deal of would have been aged in a bourbon barrel.
    "And that low down southern whiskey, began to fog my mind"
    -Little Feat
    -Dixie Chicken