Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Jim Beam Black Age statement

Today, I noticed here in Australia, our bottles of Jim Beam Black have lost the 8yo age statement, and simply have "aged to perfection". Does it still carry an age statement in the US?

Scott
    "I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day" - Frank Sinatra

Disciple

Re: Jim Beam Black Age statement

As far as I have seen there are versions: 7/90, 8/86 and 8/80 (decantor, I think).

Jeff Mo.

Connoisseur

Those versions reflect evolution over time. Originally, Beam black was 101 month, 90 proof. Then 8-yr 90 proof, then 7 yr 90 proof, then 8 yr 86 proof. Never seen an 80-proofer. But I've also never seen one without an age statement, and there are places here with high turnover, so I'd think I would see NAS bottlings soon if they're losing the age statement worldwide.

And if that happens, I won't buy anymore Beam black. I'm not going to continue to support products that lose age statements and proof.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by TBoner View Post
    And if that happens, I won't buy anymore Beam black. I'm not going to continue to support products that lose age statements and proof.
    I support that statement 100%. Too bad the list is getting so long.

Jeff Mo.

Guru

Be careful what you say, We may soon be left with with no choice. The way things are trending.
    Emancipate yourself from mental slavery. None but ourselves can free our minds.

Bob Marley.

Disciple

I have not purchased a Jack or Beam product for a really long time. Except fot bottles that should have ND juice in them. Made that decision a long time ago. Price goes up, proof goes down, just a bad deal in my opinion.

Jeff Mo.

Virtuoso

So Jeff does this mean you would no longer buy WTRR? Price went up proof went down.

You can still find some 101 WTRR out there but the price is going up.
    "So long as the presence of death lurks with anyone who goes through the simple act of swallowing, I will make mine whiskey"

Guru

Not out here in this part of the world, I haven't been able to find it in the last 6 months. Even the nicer bars that had it now only feature the 90 Proof. As plentiful as it may be elsewhere I would gladly pay the freight to get soemone to send a bottle my way.
    Emancipate yourself from mental slavery. None but ourselves can free our minds.

Bob Marley.

Disciple

Tony,
    I have two bottles of WTRR101 that were purchased for $19. each(when I worked at a liquor store). I have not purchased one since....I have a bottle and a third left. And I will not be buying any more, because it is not my favorite bourbon. Is it good...hell yeah! But I would rather spend my $25.99 on something else. Maybe some ER 101 for $17.99 and a Steak.
    I have never had Bookers or Bakers, Woodfords "special bottles", Rare Breed, OF birthday and a few others. I just don't feel the value is there. Combined with the fact that I have been dusty hunting and have spent my budget in that direction. Mostly buying stuff I know won't be around anymore.

Jeff Mo.

Virtuoso

I've had Booker's. I drive to Bardstown from Louisville once or twice a month, so I always stop by Beam and run into the house for a taste. They only do two of their small batches at a time, so the Booker's isn't always available.

There's no tour at Beam, just a gift shop and a few outside displays, so there's no obstacle to just hitting the tasting room.