Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: What about Jack?

Jack? It took me years to get through a bottle of No. 7. Gentlemen Jack is a little better, but not even in the same league as something like Knob Creek to me, and yet about the same price.

I have tried the single barrel, and I did like it, but not enough to buy a bottle. I got it in a bar when I asked what bourbons they had and they replied "Jim Beam, Wild Turkey, or Jim Beam Black" I ordered the JBB only to watch them pull out the JD Single Barrel and pour it. As I looked over the bar, I realized they didn't have JBB, but I had wanted to try the JDSB so I accepted it.

Joel
    "Oh Bother!" said Pooh as he slapped another magazine in his AK-47...

http://vinesnwines.blogspot.com

Novice

Quote Originally Posted by ratcheer View Post
    What about Jack? I can't stand the stuff. Honestly, it reminds me of paint thinner. Tim
    When I smell Jack Daniels it reminds me going into an old dry cleaners and the over powering smell of cleaning fluid. In being able to sample the product off of the still before and after the sugar maple charcoal, it is this step that give it that "character". I would actually like to taste the unfiltered product that had been aged about 6 to 7 years, probably would be quite good. But then it would not be Tennessee whiskey would it.

As far as other products to try, don't overlook Bakers in the Beam small batch line, the Vanwinkle products (12 and 15 year old), Four Roses Single Barrel and the Antiques from Buffalo Trace.

JD

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by JDKnaebel View Post
    When I smell Jack Daniels it reminds me going into an old dry cleaners and the over powering smell of cleaning fluid.
    JD
    Couldn't have said it better myself JD.
    Joe
    Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

"Bourbon.....It's cheaper than therapy!!"

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by mythrenegade View Post
    Jack? It took me years to get through a bottle of No. 7. Gentlemen Jack is a little better, but not even in the same league as something like Knob Creek to me, and yet about the same price.

I have tried the single barrel, and I did like it, but not enough to buy a bottle.
    Interesting. This is exactly my view!

Advanced Taster

I simply don't understand the appeal of JD. But that's just me. I'm still interested in sampling some of the other expressions (Gentleman Jack, single barrel, etc.) and comparing it all with Dickel. If you like JD then by god drink up! But if you are inquiring about where to go for bourbon, then I, like some folks above, would suggest BT and WT products. I think that they are the best. (EC12 by HH is also outstanding.) So what do you think of the KC? Under certain conditions I can enjoy JBB and JBW but KC seems to be about the best they've done. That's my measly $.02. Drink what you like and welcome to the site!
    Last edited by whiskeyhatch; 09-26-2007 at 19:16.
    Kevin

"Why don't you quit cryin' and get me some bourbon?"

Taster

I agree with what some others said. If you like Jack, then by all means drink it. I usually keep a bottle on hand for friends, although sometimes I have a pour. It also is nice to use it to compare with other whiskeys. And I will admit that Jack and ginger ale is good simple cocktail that I enjoy. Gentlemen Jack is nice if you like things on the sweet side, and have never had the Single Barrel. When it comes to Tennessee whiskey, Dickel is much better IMO. Try the no. 12(White) and the Dickel Barrel Select is great if you don't mind paying a little extra.

Now if you are looking where to go with bourbon, lots of choices. As for Buffalo Trace, I'd start with Elmer T. Lee, or Buffalo Trace. Wild Turkey 101 is great, and other Wild Turkeys are great as well. Try as much as you can, that is the best way to figure out what you like.
    "And that low down southern whiskey, began to fog my mind"
    -Little Feat
    -Dixie Chicken

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Yes, but I'd consider the single barrel JD, it is well worth the extra money. It has a full rich taste and some bottles approach the typical bourbon palate more than Jack Daniels.

I bought two recently, both bottled literally weeks ago according to the labels, each from a different barrel.

They are similar but far from the same. One is rainwater soft with only a modest banana-like (acetone?) JD signature; the other is a little more earthy and typically Jack. Both also are quite full-bodied.

While Jack will never have the greatness of the best bourbons (IMO), in this form it is better than many bourbons commonly seen or spoken of.

Gary

Guru

I had a bottle of Jack Daniel Silver Select in my bunker and decided to take it along during a tasting this last weekend. I have never been a JD fan but that single barrel was quite nice and I would buy another bottle. If has a full mouthfeel, good flavor and a long pleasant finish. I also brought along a bottle of Blanton's Silver which went over very well also. I was surprised by both of these bottles. Both good pours that I would go to again.
    “Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.” - P.J. O’Rourke
    Greg's "bourbondork" blog

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by ggilbertva View Post
    I had a bottle of Jack Daniel Silver Select in my bunker and decided to take it along during a tasting this last weekend.
    Despite the prejudices the room of bourbon fans had against JD, this pour really stole the show! What a wonderful treat...thanks for sharing!

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

I think some here simply won't drink Jack in any form, but many do appreciate it once in a while, especially the Single Barrel and Silver Select (same thing but 100 proof, Single Barrel is 94 proof). The whiskey, even at its best, does not seem to approach complexity of the best bourbon, but it has its own profile and the single barrel bottlings do vary somewhat in palate (some seem more bourbon-like than others, basically). Recently to 3/4's of a half pint of regular JD I added 1/4 of a JD Single Barrel. The advantage of doing this is you retain the complexity (relatively) of the regular JD, clearly put together from hundreds of barrels, but can improve the taste and proof by adding to it from a single barrel bottling. Anyway, JD has its place, but after some experimentation with it I feel the extensive, preliminary maple charcoal treatment really does alter the product (Dickel too), they do stand apart from bourbon in this respect.

Gary