Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Howdy

Apprentice

Howdy

Hey folks. Just recently purchased a decent bottle of bourbon (Knob Creek) and figured I have a forum for my Jeep addiction so surely there has to be one for bourbon.

I've been predominately a beer drinker and recently was turned on to small batch bourbon by a fellow member of my Jeep club last fall. While sitting around the campfire he breaks out a flask of Booker's and while it had a bit of a bite I enjoyed it. I'll more than likely be finishing off the Knob Creek this weekend and will be looking for another to try. Any suggestions?
    Chris N

Guru

Re: Howdy

Chris,

Welcome to SB.com. You've come to the right place to ask questions and learn about Bourbon. Use the search function to begin your education here on SB, that's how I started.

I would suggest you include your location since Bourbon availability varies by location and other memebers in your area may turn you on to offerings that are available locally. Knob Creek is a good start. As a new bourbon drinker, I would also suggest Makers Mark. Makers is a wheated bourbon and provides you with a contrast to the rye mashbill of Knob Creek.

That's cool that you liked the Bookers. That a high proof, barrel strength bourbon and is usually not something a new drinker would start with.

Enjoy your stay.
    “Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.” - P.J. O’Rourke
    Greg's "bourbondork" blog

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by Jeeper View Post
    Hey folks. Just recently purchased a decent bottle of bourbon (Knob Creek) and figured I have a forum for my Jeep addiction so surely there has to be one for bourbon.

I've been predominately a beer drinker and recently was turned on to small batch bourbon by a fellow member of my Jeep club last fall. While sitting around the campfire he breaks out a flask of Booker's and while it had a bit of a bite I enjoyed it. I'll more than likely be finishing off the Knob Creek this weekend and will be looking for another to try. Any suggestions?
    Welcome to the forum

Since it was Booker's that got your interest, I'd suggest you try some higher proof bourbons - anything that says "barrel proof" or has a number over 100 proof will carry wonderful complexities that may not be evident at low proofs.

Also, since it was a flask that you were drinking from, consider drinking in the style of a flask: tiny sips at room temperature. I believe many people add ice to lower the proof of their drink just because they're taking too large of a sip at a time.

Tiny sips of high proof whiskey at room temperature may be your thing. It certainly is mine.

Roger

Apprentice

Thanks for the welcomes.

I'm from Horn Lake, MS which is just south of Memphis, TN.

BTW my dad is an avid Wild Turkey 101 fan and has been sipping on that for years. I've never tried it but he seems to enjoy it.
    Chris N

Moderator and Bourbonian Of The Year 2014

A big Aussie welcome Chris

Many here will offer lots of quality advise. All I can really add is to try as many bourbons as possible, and once you find a few you like, stick to them.

Great avatar by the way. I've always been a big fan of Jeep (Wrangler)

Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by camduncan View Post
    Great avatar by the way. I've always been a big fan of Jeep (Wrangler)
    Thanks, I'd love to be able to bring it down your way and go Jeepin'. Beautiful country you got down there.
    Chris N

Virtuoso

Hey Chris welcome to SB.com from MI. You can find all your answers here and as Greg said use the search you'll learn a ton.

As for a new bottle the barrel proof stuff can some times have a little more of a price tag than others. I highly recommend Eagle Rare Single Barrel 10yr. big on taste and not on price!

Enjoy!
    "So long as the presence of death lurks with anyone who goes through the simple act of swallowing, I will make mine whiskey"

Enthusiast

Elmer T. Lee should be on your must try list. It is a single barrel bourbon at 90 proof. Also give WildTurkey Rare breed a pour sometime. And also try Booker's little brother Baker's. It come in at 107 in the alcohol scale. Then give a good Straight Rye Whiskey a drink. That should keep you buzy for awhile and not break your bank and cover a variety tastes and proof's. I would be interested in what flavors you taste from each one. Something like x brand like vanilla, y brand cinnimon etc. welcome to the club.
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough". Mark Twain

Apprentice

Thanks again for the welcomes and recommendations.

When I have time I'm going to sit down and read more of the tasting notes and the various how to's posted here that I've found. I'm a true roookie to this as I had always looked at whisky as something to suck down from a shot glass.

I'm enjoying sipping on it now though....bourbon that is.
    Chris N

Taster

Hay Cuz

I'am just the other side of Tupelo in the country. Try a bottle of Wild Turkey Rare Breed. Good to see another Reb on board.

JW