Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Connoisseur

Most You've Overpaid

for a bottle, that is.

Thinking about Brad's $100+ Hancock's (which he didn't buy) and the thread about big disappointments got me to wondering how often and by how much we overpay for whiskey.

I know a lot of my purchases have been bargains since they were old and dusty and priced as they were in the 70s or 80s. But I also know that the first time I bought KC several years ago, I didn't know enough to price liquor stores out around here, and I wound up paying $42.99 for a fifth. I know buy it for $23.99.

I know some guys have high prices set by state liquor boards, or just live in areas with higher liquor prices (not to mention the hard-to-find eBay purchases we may have made), so it's all relative. But what's the most you've overpaid for a fifth of whiskey?

Disciple

Re: Most You've Overpaid

I have never really overpaid for a bottle of whiskey, but there are a few I am definitely glad I didn't pay regular price for. 2 of the most notable examples are Hancocks Reserve and Mckendrick. Hancocks is one of my favorites, but is no where near worth the normal 50.00 price tag. Mckendrick, while I don't hate it, isn't superstar whiskey by any means, but the normal 40.00+ price tag is entirely too high for what it is. One that I probably overpayed for but am extremely thankful to have purchased is a duty free only bottle of Bushmills 1608 12yr. This is now discontinued and one has to seriously wonder what Bushmills was thinking when they gave this brand the ax. I am not really a fan of Bushmills but this version is a must have for any serious Irish whiskey fan. This stuff is excellent!

Thomas

Guru

Two years ago I paid eighty some dollars a bottle plus shipping for three bottles of '05 WLW from Mission Liquors. While waiting for that shipment to be delivered I ordered one more from either Sam's or Binny's along with other sundry items. To date I have drank exactly three quarters of one bottle of the '05. I'd gladly unload the rest for less than half of what I paid for them. I guess I can always use it for bourbon balls.

Connoisseur

I don't have any stories with quite that disparity, but I've overpaid on more than one occasion. I don't think you can avoid making a few mistakes if you're starting out and trying to build up your collection.

I have a Michter's US1 Rye that I paid $45 for from Central Liquor in D.C. Central has a decent collection, but grossly overpriced.

On another occasion I was dusty hunting a found some "Stizel-Weller Bourbon" in a run-down, out-of-the-way liquor store. I had no idea what it was, other than knowing I loved S-W products. Well, as discussed in this thread, it was pretty much junk.

So, from a drinking perspective any money spent was a waste. From a good story perspective, well, maybe it was kinda worth it.

Mark

I love him whose soul squanders itself, who wants no thanks...for he always gives away and does not want to preserve himself.
    -Nietzsche

Guru

Including shipping, I paid $135.00 for a bottle of George T Stagg.
    I could not get any here and I really wanted it, so ebay-ing I went.
    ovh

Connoisseur

I guess I would rate my purchase at the KBF as overpaying. As a auctioneer (on the side) I normally have a decent feel of how an auction is going and will frequently go ahead and make a set in bid (opening bid) just to get things started if openings are slow figuring that someone else will bid.

So when a box of 5 autographed bottles and some misc stuff was slow at opening I went ahead and bid $200 since single bottles had been going for 60-70. To my surprise, no one else bid until right as the auctioneer was hammering the lot, a lady in front of me bid. However, since he had hammered the lot (and to encourage faster bidding in future lots) he did not take her bid. So I now have extra bottles of 1792, Makers, Bullet, Pogue and Craig. At least the box did have an older miniture and the money went to a good cause (the Getz Museum).

Tom

Bad Girl and Bourbonian Of The Year 2012

Quote Originally Posted by OscarV View Post
    I could not get any here and I really wanted it, so ebay-ing I went.
    OMG!!! Next time, drive to Indiana!

Somewhere in these threads is a story of me walking out of a store with a bottle of Weller 19 that was priced at $225. I didn't pay that much, but someone else did....And I still paid too much for the bottle I bought! We drank it at a gazebo gathering....I remember it was dry and woody.

Dawn

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by OscarV View Post
    What year/edition was it?
    I'm right there with you. I paid $150, shipping included, for a '04 GTS (In 2006).
    /\../\

"I've had eighteen straight whiskies, I think that's the record . . ." - Dylan Thomas

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by luv2hunt View Post
    OMG!!! Next time, drive to Indiana!
    I used to drive to Indiana to get cheap cigarettes.
    At the time my wife had a company car, (insurance road adjuster), and I would drive her car to Fremont on the insuance company's gas, and get a couple of month's worth.
    Fremont is only an hour and 20 minutes from me.
    ovh

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by gothbat View Post
    What year/edition was it?
    I'm right there with you. I paid $150, shipping included, for a '04 GTS (In 2006).
    It was also the 2004, 129 proof, I think I got it in '06 also.
    ovh