Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newby Intro

Enthusiast

Newby Intro

Hello all,
    I just wanted to take a moment or two to introduce myself and give my first impressions. To begin, I think you have a fantastic board and some really insightful comments about great bourbons. I am glad to read that opinions are encouraged here...I suppose I may put that to the test!
    I am a long time bourbon drinker. My cabinet currently houses Makers, Wathen's, Old Pogue, Jim Beam, Woodford, and Blanton's (although most are collector's' bottles). I've tried most brands from Pappy VanWinkle's to Jefferson's Reserve. I was primarily raised in KY, but have lived out of state for over 10 years now. I always drank Makers until the recent gradual increase in pricing had me looking in other directions. Although I am happy that I can now find Makers in nearly any State- side bar I go into. (That wasn't true 10 years ago).
    I have one question about Wathen's bourbon. I am relatively new to this brand (only found it a few years ago while visiting back home in KY). I prefer it for regular drinks and often give it as a gift to people that I know enjoy bourbon, because I've never seen it sold outside of KY. The bottle says that it is distilled in KY but bottled in California. So I guess my question is what is the board's general concensus on Wathens? I've only seen it mentioned a few times and it is a personal favorite of mine for both flavor and value.

So here's to all of you that realize Jack Daniel's is NOT bourbon and I personally never "Volunteer" myself for such arduous duty!

Frank

Guru

Re: Newby Intro

Welcome Frank.

I too like Wathens. It's not a fantastic bourbon but definately something I keep in my bunker and visit every so often. I can find it here in VA somewhat regularly.
    “Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.” - P.J. O’Rourke
    Greg's "bourbondork" blog

Disciple

Glad to have you here Frank,
    The Wathens product is currently made by HH and warehoused in Owensboro. Charles Medley hand picks the barrles and ages it to his specifications. If you can find an older bottle, it could be some of his bourbon distillet. I don't recall when the change was made. IIRC the break is around 1998/99.
    I encourage you to check out the recomended section of the "Profile". There are some really good bourbon tasters on the board and if you can piggyback on some of thier selections....it will surely make life easier. Some of my fav's are: Bourbon Joe's tasting group, Tboner and Barturtle, just to name a few.

Jeff Mo.

Enthusiast

Thank you for the words of welcome and the recommendations fellas. From what I've read I will keep this Forum bokmarked for regular reading. I find myself revisiting old bottles of bourbon trying to compare notes with some of the members. You guys may just talk me into ponying up the dough for a bottle of PVW even though I didn't like it the first time I tried it. My very first experience with it was from an aquaintence at UK that was somehow related to the family (don't ask me how: if I remember correctly his last name was Sizemore). I'll try the 15 yr again before I venture into anything more expensive. I like it even less now that I know they were bought out by Buffalo Trace. George T Stagg is definitely the next new bourbon adventure for me!

And Wathen's will be my old reliable at home (until you really convince me that there is anything close at $30/bottle).
    Bourbon is sunshine held together by water....

Guru

Frank,

A couple of other bourbons that may interest you;

Old Rip Van Winkle 10 year 107
    Weller Antique 7 year 107
    Evan Williams Single Barrel 10 year (1998 will be released soon)
    Rittenhouse Rye BIB (Bottled in Bond)

Just some suggestions.
    “Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.” - P.J. O’Rourke

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by WsmataU View Post
    ...I like it even less now that I know they were bought out by Buffalo Trace..
    I couldn't quite tell your meaning, but Van Winkle was NOT bought out by Buffalo Trace. They do have an exclusive arrangement where VW gets its whiskey from BT, but Van Winkle products remain unchanged in the sense that Julian selected, but never did distill his whiskey, it was always bought in - as it will continue.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Rughi View Post
    I couldn't quite tell your meaning, but Van Winkle was NOT bought out by Buffalo Trace. They do have an exclusive arrangement where VW gets its whiskey from BT, but Van Winkle products remain unchanged in the sense that Julian selected, but never did distill his whiskey, it was always bought in - as it will continue.
    Isn't it true that BT is using the same wheat recipe from Old Fitz to make their bourbon that Julian is using in his product line?

Disciple

Greg,
    Just because they have the recipe, doesn't mean they make it to the same standards that were used at SW. For example: Proof off still 1 and 2, entry proof, types of barrel and warehouse, and so on. They do a good job but it's not as good as some of the SW bourbon of the past.

Jeff Mo.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Rughi View Post
    Thanks for that info. I was definitely confused. It may not sway my view of PVW as far as taste, but I always like rooting for "the little guy."
    Bourbon is sunshine held together by water....

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by mozilla View Post
    Greg,
    Just because they have the recipe, doesn't mean they make it to the same standards that were used at SW. For example: Proof off still 1 and 2, entry proof, types of barrel and warehouse, and so on. They do a good job but it's not as good as some of the SW bourbon of the past.
    Of course Jeff, you are correct. I know I was being too simplistic as there are many factors that affect the taste profile of any whiskey. But, with Julian at the helm, and using the same wheated recipe as Old Fitz, I'm hopeful that he will be turning out very fine bourbon through the years. I had the pleasure of trying the current Old Rip 10 107 and was blown away by how good it was. I'm looking for more bottles to bunker.