Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cold Bourbon

Novice

Cold Bourbon

What are your thoughts on keeping your bourbon in the freezer or fridge. When I was younger and drinking for quantity and not quality, I was told by some of my buddies that you should keep your Beam white label in the freezer because it won't freeze due to the alcohol. I think I might like to drink my Knob Creek cold, but with no ice, so I wouldn't have to worry about bad ice cubes.

What say ya'll? Should bourbon be put in the frigidaire?

Connoisseur

Re: Cold Bourbon

I only really enjoy my bourbon at room temperature or warmer. I've added ice and didn't like it. In the winter if I am outside with my glass for too long and the bourbon gets chilled it won't taste as good, no matter whats in the glass. I'm not a fan of cold bourbon but I know some people here like to add ice sometimes; as for me, even at room temperature, most of what I drink doesn't seem to taste as good until the snifter has been in my hand for a little bit to warm it up.
    /\../\

"I've had eighteen straight whiskies, I think that's the record . . ." - Dylan Thomas

Virtuoso

That probably works well with the JB, as it does with mainstream American beer, because it numbs the tongue and masks most of the taste. I wouldn't chill anything I wanted to really taste unless, like ice cream, it had been designed that way.

Connoisseur

I have tried it, but like the other comments here I prefer it at room temp. Actually it was reccomended to me to try it with the EC 18, gr8erdane let me know that "Bettye Jo's husband Pat does this and others have tried it and been pleasantly surprised."
    Trying it will also show you something about what it does to the flavor, you can try some both ways.
    I tried something like that with some Weller 12 a couple years ago. Froze some, some at room temp, heated some up over a glass of boiling water, and some with a little ice. I found that the 'heated" glass changed the Bourbon the most in that the nose was much more intense and it almost seemed to give it a more creamy texture. For a new drinker like myself it tought me a few things. One think you might want to do is take some tasteing notes when you try a bottle you can share them or not, but at least for your self it will help you to remember how different bottles taste to you and even how you enjoy them more ie..a little ice or water or even the freezer...

Todd

Guru

Post Re: Cold Bourbon

Jimmy Russell, the long-time master distiller (now retired) of Wild Turkey, said he preferred Rare Breed from the freezer. I don't know if it was just that bottling or whiskey in general he liked that way, but I read in an interview with him that that was how he liked RB.

Tim
    Self-Styled Whisky Connoisseur

Novice

Quote Originally Posted by ratcheer View Post
    Jimmy Russell, the long-time master distiller (now retired) of Wild Turkey, Tim
    Jimmy still is the master distiller at WT, he is not retired.

JD

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Thumbs up Re: Cold Bourbon

Sure. Go ahead and put a bottle in the Fridge. Although, I drink most of my bourbon neat, I do have a bottle of Bulliet in the garage fridge. I go to it every now and then, and it's a nice change-up. Matter of fact, I quite like it. The nice thing about bourbon this way, is that you get the coldness, without getting any dilution from ice. In addition, if you take the Buffalo Trace distillery tour, and come back for a sampling of BT at the end of it.....they pull it from the fridge.

Cheers!

JOE

Guru

Red face Re: Cold Bourbon

Quote Originally Posted by JDKnaebel View Post
    Jimmy still is the master distiller at WT, he is not retired.

JD
    O.k., sorry. I have trouble keeping up with who is retired and who is not.

Tim
    Self-Styled Whisky Connoisseur

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by ratcheer View Post
    O.k., sorry. I have trouble keeping up with who is retired and who is not.

Tim
    Although I would never confuse WT with Beam whiskey I sometimes get Eddie Russell and Fred Noe confused. Much the same way I get certain actors who look similar confused with one another. Not that Eddie and Fred look that similar.

It's not my cup of tea (or bourbon), but go ahead an experiment. As others have said, the only "right" way to enjoy your bourbon is the way you like it best. I usually like to try every brand I'm new to several ways, i.e. neat, with a little water, with some ice, etc. to see which flavor I like best. I say when you have a whole bottle, why not play around with a few pours?
    "It can giggle all it wants. The galaxy's not getting any of our bourbon!"