Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 11 of 73 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast
    Advanced Taster

Re: What are you drinking tonight? (Fall '07)

Lot B, Sazerac Rye, Basil Hayden's, and my newest acquisition, a bottle of ETL (thank you, forum). I surprised at how similar-tasting the last three are compared to the Van Winkle. Maybe I had too much Lot B to start with?

Quote Originally Posted by Solomon2 View Post
    Lot B, Sazerac Rye, Basil Hayden's, and my newest acquisition, a bottle of ETL (thank you, forum). I surprised at how similar-tasting the last three are compared to the Van Winkle. Maybe I had too much Lot B to start with?
    The Lot B is wheat recipe, the rest are rye.....could have something to do with it

Scott
    "I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day" - Frank Sinatra

Taster

Russell's Reserve 10y 90p,excellent!

I'm down to seven open bourbons (I recently Parafilm-ed about 30 bottles for future 'tasting' and sharing -- or 'special' occasions) -- Eagle Rare 17 2006, GTS '06, Jefferson Reserve 15yo, Old Forester BIB 1988, Old Rip Van Winkle 15yo, Pappy 15, Pappy 20 -- all are less than half full tonight. The OF BIB was opened to satisfy my current 'kick' -- bourbon and cola (though I prefer wheaters w/ cola, I can't justify the VWs). Ryes and Canadian/Scotch/Irish are next to disappear.
    Anyway, tonight, I've enjoyed a pour of diet cola-OForBIB and diet cola-Jefferson 15. (By the way, I taste each 'neat' before pouring the cola, for whatever that's worth).
    When I clear the sideboard, I will thereafter open only what I feel like drinking at the moment. I'll leave you to decide whether this is maturity or immaturity...
    UPDATE: Just poured some Alberta 25yo (Canadian), freshened with a dollop of Rittenhouse 21yo SB, and topped with diet ginger ale, to accompany the denouement of John Sandford's most-recent novel. (My guess is I'll be at the gym at 11 p.m., feeling guilty about the calories from the alcohol...)
    THE DENOUEMENT: Worth it! Read Sandford...(Sandford is a former Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist. I have an affinity to journalists...)
    P.P.S. -- Poured some of the last quarter-bottle of ORVW 15/107 I possess while visiting the chat room for the first time in a long time. Finally poured some diet Big K (Kroger) cola over it. Got a case of hiccups, besides. Guess I'm just not much of a whiskey maven anymore...
    Last edited by TNbourbon; 10-14-2007 at 21:40.
    Tim

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Half Pappy 15, half Rutledge FRSB, two cherries. Don't knock it til you try it.

Gary

Connoisseur

2007 OF BDay Bourbon. Since it's my BDay, it seemed appropriate.
    • • •
    Mark

I love him whose soul squanders itself, who wants no thanks...for he always gives away and does not want to preserve himself.
    -Nietzsche

Connoisseur

Made it to Blue Smoke in NYC the other night. Had BBQ Brisket (lean), mashed potatoes, cornbread and coleslaw and 2 glasses of their special van Winkle bourbon-neat. Wish they sold it. Bartender also gave us a taste of Four Roses; will be getting that soon, saw in Malt Advocate that there's a barrel strength, too.

Virtuoso

After my experimental "Coeur de France" cocktail (see here for the recipe), I'm now kicking back with a generous pour of Baby Saz.
    Oh no! You have walked into the slavering fangs of a lurking grue!

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

Blanton's Straight from the Barrel here. Damn fine pour, though availability is rotten...
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

Guru

Binny's pick Weller 12 year.
    “Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.” - P.J. O’Rourke
    Greg's "bourbondork" blog