Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 73 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast
    Connoisseur

Re: What are you drinking tonight? (Fall '07)

OGD 114 this afternoon. Taken on its own terms (i.e. not in relation to the ND stuff), a good, sturdy dram.

2-yr-old homebrewed cyser (an apple mead) this evening at dinner. This stuff has gotten spectacularly better in the year since I tasted it. I think most of the 14 bottles we have will be gone before the winter is over.

Now, a pour of Cragganmore 12, which will accompany a book at bedtime (I'm tired, so an early Saturday turn-in for me).

Guru

Stagg Fall '04 One shot in a rocks glass cut to 114 Proof.

What a pleasant burn. This is about as High a proof of this edition that I can feel and taste the balance.
    Emancipate yourself from mental slavery. None but ourselves can free our minds.

Bob Marley.

Connoisseur

EWSB, both '94, '95, and '96 (bottled 11/19/06, post-fire).

The '94 was first: rich, long finish, elegant if a little sharp and dry.
    The '95 was bigger, richer with more caramel and vanilla. Again, long finish. The least subtle of the three.
    The '96 was the lightest of the three, a bit metallic at first, more anise than the other two. Still, like all EWSB it's charms are not forward but reward patience and study.

I had read several posters list the '94 as their favorite, so I was surprised to find I like the '95 best.
    • • •
    Mark

I love him whose soul squanders itself, who wants no thanks...for he always gives away and does not want to preserve himself.
    -Nietzsche

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by mgilbertva View Post
    EWSB, both '94, '95, and '96 (bottled 11/19/06, post-fire).

The '94 was first: rich, long finish, elegant if a little sharp and dry.
    The '95 was bigger, richer with more caramel and vanilla. Again, long finish. The least subtle of the three.
    The '96 was the lightest of the three, a bit metallic at first, more anise than the other two. Still, like all EWSB it's charms are not forward but reward patience and study.

I had read several posters list the '94 as their favorite, so I was surprised to find I like the '95 best.
    My vote goes to the '95 as well. Bigger nose, longer finish. Seemed more robust than the '94.
    “Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.” - P.J. O’Rourke
    Greg's "bourbondork" blog

Guru

I opened up another Wild Turkey Kentucky Spirit.
    Bottled on 2/7/07
    Barrel No. 11
    Warehouse E
    Rick No. 13

The color of this bottle is lighter than previous WTKS I have had.
    I have another unopened, from Warehouse C, Rick 40 and it is noticably darker.
    Also this one is not as sweet as others I have had.
    But like sex and pizza, even if it is bad, it is still good.
    ovh

Virtuoso

Well tonight I opened one of my BHC VSOF 12yr. and this is my first dance with this bottle. I waited way to long it is truely wonderful.
    "So long as the presence of death lurks with anyone who goes through the simple act of swallowing, I will make mine whiskey"

Advanced Taster

EW 1783. Picked up a few bottles for $10.50. (Now there's a value.) It's still very hot here. As soon as it finally cools, I will be grabbing for some Islay Scotch. Can't wait!
    Kevin

"Why don't you quit cryin' and get me some bourbon?"

Connoisseur

I just tapped into a bottle of Sazerac Rye 18yo from 2004 that I haven't had a sip from in maybe a year or so. Man, I'd forgotten how good this stuff is. Can't wait to try the 2007!

Virtuoso

Robby I'm jealous! I totally forgot I have 2 2004 Saz's stashed in the bunker!

Tonight is a healthy pour of some PVW 15yr. in Reidel Bourbon Glass, this might have been purchased in 04 as well. I can't get enough of this stuff either! I may need to go have a smoke after this one!
    "So long as the presence of death lurks with anyone who goes through the simple act of swallowing, I will make mine whiskey"

Novice

Smile Re: What are you drinking tonight? (Fall '07)

well, I been meaning to get me some EC18yo to experience the bourbon of the month, but the only poke store I been in of late is the wallyworld grocery down the way. So, I gave in and got me some Buffalo Trace. ummm...good, nice on a bit of ice and a splash. actually, the wife has a cold and I wanted to sooth her throat...what..for real...I got her some nice tea, lemon, & honey. as well as a bottle of bourbon. I'm only thinking of my dear wife, here. My little irish lass was in need.

well, ok it's one last little smidgen, and then it's off to bed, 'cause i have to be up in 6 hrs.
    First, I am very good at projectile vomiting. Second, I've never had a really serious venereal disease.
    — Herb Kelleher