Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 21 of 45 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast
    Virtuoso

Re: What bourbon did you purchase today? (Fall '07)

Hey Mark nice work on the BTAC today. I also picked up the BTAC.

(4) Saz 18 yr.
    (2) Stagg

Bringing the total to (6) Saz, (3) Stagg, (4) ER, (4) WLW, and (1) Handy. I will need to get some Handy after tonights tasting. It is fine.

Tony
    "So long as the presence of death lurks with anyone who goes through the simple act of swallowing, I will make mine whiskey"

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by ACDetroit View Post
    Hey Mark nice work on the BTAC today. I also picked up the BTAC.

(4) Saz 18 yr.
    (2) Stagg

Bringing the total to (6) Saz, (3) Stagg, (4) ER, (4) WLW, and (1) Handy. I will need to get some Handy after tonights tasting. It is fine.

Tony
    How do you all come up with so much of the BTAC?

So, I take it you love the Saz the best. Am I right?

Enthusiast

Last night I picked up most of the WLW still left from previous years in S. FL. 8 bottles, a mix of 05's and 06's. Needless to say, I'm set for awhile.

-Kevin

Virtuoso

You Right Mark!!! You Right!

Tony
    "So long as the presence of death lurks with anyone who goes through the simple act of swallowing, I will make mine whiskey"

Virtuoso

I picked up (2) new Handy's today. I also found (2) W.L. Weller Special Reserve (Louisville) 94" on the bottoms. They had one more but it will wait for next time. Now I have 3 Louisville bottles and 2 Frankfort. I read the old posts in the search but did not see a side by side?

Is one better than the other?

Tony

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by NickAtMartinis View Post
    How do you all come up with so much of the BTAC?
    I was able to land those because of a source in the VA ABC I've been developing for quite some time now, and it finally paid off. It's a long story.

As for whether I like the Saz 18 best - I know you were asking Tony but I loaded up on it both because I like it and it's normally near impossible to get. I frankly don't know which BTAC I like best. It depends on the mood I'm in. I do lean towards rye mashbills, but I absolutely loved the '06 WLW. I like old whiskeys (e.g., Saz 18), but the Handy was mind-blowing. And of course, who doesn't love GTS? ER is the only one I'm not sure is worth the money, but that's me. My brother loves it.

I think I'm going to be able to get my hands on several bottles of Handy next week. I can't wait...

Mark

I love him whose soul squanders itself, who wants no thanks...for he always gives away and does not want to preserve himself.
    -Nietzsche

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by mgilbertva View Post
    I was able to land those because of a source in the VA ABC I've been developing for quite some time now, and it finally paid off. It's a long story.

As for whether I like the Saz 18 best - I know you were asking Tony but I loaded up on it both because I like it and it's normally near impossible to get. I frankly don't know which BTAC I like best. It depends on the mood I'm in. I do lean towards rye mashbills, but I absolutely loved the '06 WLW. I like old whiskeys (e.g., Saz 18), but the Handy was mind-blowing. And of course, who doesn't love GTS? ER is the only one I'm not sure is worth the money, but that's me. My brother loves it.

I think I'm going to be able to get my hands on several bottles of Handy next week. I can't wait...

Mark, what's your take on the '07 WLW compared to the '06?

I haven't tried the '06 but the '07 to me isn't worth the price. Don't get me wrong, it's good but I'd rather save $35+ and buy a bottle of Weller Antique. Just curious on your take.

Regarding the ER, I really like it, the '07 version anyway. I haven't had any prior ER's.

Guru

Purchased 2 Saz 18's for 54 bucks apiece.
    Joe
    Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

"Bourbon.....It's cheaper than therapy!!"

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by NickAtMartinis View Post
    Mark, what's your take on the '07 WLW compared to the '06?
    I haven't opened it yet. I came close tonight, but indulged in some ORVW 10yr instead. When I do I'll certainly post my impressions, but I think the '06 is going to be hard to beat.

Mark

I love him whose soul squanders itself, who wants no thanks...for he always gives away and does not want to preserve himself.
    -Nietzsche

Connoisseur

Thanks to a generous and considerate member of this board, I am the proud owner of the 1989 EWSB, extending my collection so that it spans '89-'97, and the '02 OFBB. I'm going to bunker them for now unless I come up with a duplicate, or just break down under the pressure...

Mark

-Nietzsche