Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 43 of 45 FirstFirst ... 334142434445 LastLast
    Virtuoso

Re: What bourbon did you purchase today? (Fall '07)

Twas the day before Christmas and I'm out in my ride. If the wife knew I was hunting she'd for sure have my hide!
    So I headed due South where I'd not been before, and I took a hard right as I found the first store.
    I looked on the shelf and what could it be? WTKS 97' Pewter Top just for me?
    " The level is low can you give me a deal?" State regulated prices! So how does that feel? Some old Rare Breed minis is that what I see? If you take the bottle I could throw in three. (deal)
    So back in my car and to the next store, the 2 that I found I'd never seen before (personally and in MI that is), one Cream of Kentucky, and Wild Turkey Tradition! I guess I can stop all my Christmas wishin. Not sure how they taste but I'll take them both. Can't wait to get home for the Christmas toast.
    One more store should I try. what the heck I'm still out. The girls were still sleeping so know one would shout.
    The last store for the day and what do I see, EW with 7 yr. old on the shoulder, now come on could it be? EW was deep on shelf so I said I'll take 2! But only one with the statement, so only one then I flew!
    So into my car and back to the house where know one was stirring not even a mouse!

Well the girls are up now and I did not catch any crap. The hunting was done during their 2 hour nap!

Cheers to all!

Tony
    "So long as the presence of death lurks with anyone who goes through the simple act of swallowing, I will make mine whiskey"

Quote Originally Posted by ACDetroit View Post
    Twas the day before Christmas and I'm out in my ride. If the wife knew I was hunting she'd for sure have my hide!
    So I headed due South where I'd not been before, and I took a hard right as I found the first store.
    I looked on the shelf and what could it be? WTKS 97' Pewter Top just for me?
    " The level is low can you give me a deal?" State regulated prices! So how does that feel? Some old Rare Breed minis is that what I see? If you take the bottle I could throw in three. (deal)
    So back in my car and to the next store, the 2 that I found I'd never seen before (personally and in MI that is), one Cream of Kentucky, and Wild Turkey Tradition! I guess I can stop all my Christmas wishin. Not sure how they taste but I'll take them both. Can't wait to get home for the Christmas toast.
    One more store should I try. what the heck I'm still out. The girls were still sleeping so know one would shout.
    The last store for the day and what do I see, EW with 7 yr. old on the shoulder, now come on could it be? EW was deep on shelf so I said I'll take 2! But only one with the statement, so only one then I flew!
    So into my car and back to the house where know one was stirring not even a mouse!

Well the girls are up now and I did not catch any crap. The hunting was done during their 2 hour nap!

Cheers to all!

Tony
    Good job. How long did it take you to crank that out? Sounds like you cleaned house.

All I got was Buffalo Trace today. Not bad though.

Virtuoso

10 minutes to write but I'm a slow typer so as long to type it!

Thanks!
    "So long as the presence of death lurks with anyone who goes through the simple act of swallowing, I will make mine whiskey"

Connoisseur

The store by me was trying to get me some more of this years William Larue Weller but they wound up getting the wrong thing and got W.L. Weller Special Reserve in instead. It was a pleasant surprise and not a disappointment though, I'd been wanting to try Weller Special Reserve for some time but have never seen it around and at $20 the price was right!
    /\../\

"I've had eighteen straight whiskies, I think that's the record . . ." - Dylan Thomas

Virtuoso

Decided to get myself a (another) Christmas gift today. After all these years, finally broke down and bought a Booker's. Been waiting around a while to find that right one I suppose. Well, went to a long-forgotten store today to get the wife some wine and there was 1 left on the shelf.....an older one, distilled 3-31-95 and bottled in 2003 in Boston according to the upper label. Always said if I got one of these, it would be an 8+ year variation.....and one which Booker himself would have more likely placed hands upon prior to his passing. In any event, maybe I'll open it tonite if the chance presents itself and I am up long enough wrapping for the kids.

Second bottle today, but not lesser in any way, a OGD 114 dated 1982 with the tax stamps intact.....but, about 10-15% evaporated. Just the same, it was their last bottle of it and I could not pass it up.
    Last edited by Old Lamplighter; 12-24-2007 at 18:38.

Guru

Post Re: What bourbon did you purchase today? (Fall '07)

I was running out of Wild Turkey 101 so I bought another bottle, today. It is pretty much my everyday pour now, so I must keep it replenished.

It is now up to $21.50 per 750-ml in my ABC state.

Tim

PS - It is winter, now.
    Self-Styled Whisky Connoisseur

Enthusiast

Replaced a few bottles - Weller 12 and Buffalo Trace.
    Here's to us, who's like us?
    Damned few and they're all dead

Apprentice

Tony - that was beautiful. I can relate. I hid out down at the office today waiting for a shipment to arrive. It was worth the wait. Got a couple of bottles of WTKS and a couple bottles of Parkers. I hope the Parkers lives up to its billing. I cracked the KS tonight and it is worth the price.

Guru

I'm married to the best woman in the world. For Christmas she got me all 5 bottles of the '07 BTAC, plus a couple extra bottles; 1 Saz and 1 WLW.

“Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.” - P.J. O’Rourke
    Greg's "bourbondork" blog

Virtuoso

Greg that is a great women indeed!!

For everyone else please don't get me wrong on my wife, she never yells about hunting at all but she would not want me to be to far from the house in our current state!! I thought for sure we be in the hospital by now but Samantha is not ready yet! She is much easier to tend for where she is currently!

Cheers.