Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Taster

Re: trying to learn more than "casual bourbon drinker"

Welcome.
    Van Winkle 12 year lot b is excellent
    Weller 12 year can not be beat for the money
    Buffalo trace is very good for the money
    Good Luck

I'm with Kendall. Weller 12 is awesome. I might go have some now to celebrate......Friday night!
    Welcome to SB.com, Ruby!

Scott
    "I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day" - Frank Sinatra

Just had some Weller 12......Hell yeah! That stuff is great....go get some! If you can order it from Binny's I would suggest the barrels Brett Pontoni selected. That's what I have here...and for the price, I can't think of anything I would rather drink!

Scott
    "I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day" - Frank Sinatra

Bourbonian of the Year 2007

Wink, wink; Brett picks an awesome Weller 12. A few of us here do so, as well!

Quote Originally Posted by HighTower View Post
    Just had some Weller 12......Hell yeah! That stuff is great....go get some! If you can order it from Binny's I would suggest the barrels Brett Pontoni selected. That's what I have here...and for the price, I can't think of anything I would rather drink!

Scott
    ____ ____
    Barrel_Proof

Advanced Taster

Armed with the Weller 12 suggestion (and reading that folks think the ETL is a sweet bourbon as well) I headed back to Lenell's, to find her missing both. She mentioned they're having problems getting those in, so I grabbed the Weller 10 instead. If LeNell doesn't have it in, am I sunk in NY? Should I just order online?

Virtuoso

I don't think this is completely off-topic:

Are the Weller Centennial 10yo and the 12yo significantly different? I saw them sitting on the shelf next to each other, and they are within a couple of bucks of the same price.

Then there were the Old Weller Antique 107, and the Weller Special Reserve, which both appear to be seven years old, so maybe the proof is the only difference between them.

It's all very confusing. These are all the same mash bill, right? As well as the barrel proof BTAC version.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by craigthom View Post

Are the Weller Centennial 10yo and the 12yo significantly different? I saw them sitting on the shelf next to each other, and they are within a couple of bucks of the same price.

Then there were the Old Weller Antique 107, and the Weller Special Reserve, which both appear to be seven years old, so maybe the proof is the only difference between them.

It's all very confusing. These are all the same mash bill, right? As well as the barrel proof BTAC version.
    The 10yo Centennial is 100 proof, compared to 90 proof for the 12yo. Here in Houston, the 12/90 can be found for around $18 and the 10/100 is around $30. I've never tried the 10/100, but my guess is that it's better than the 12yo. I have tried the 7/107 (Antique), the 7/90 (Special Reserve), and the 12yo, and my favorite of those three is definitely the Antique 107 (yes, I prefer the Antique 107 over the 12yo). I seem to prefer the higher proofs, so I suspect that I'd like the 10/100 Centennial more than the 12yo/90. But since I already think so highly of the Antique 107 and prefer it over the 12yo (which both cost about the same in my area), I just can't justify paying $30 for the 10/100 Centennial when I can find the Antique 107 for under $20. But I should at least buy a bottle of the Centennial, to see what I've been missing. If you haven't tried the Antique 107 yet, I recommend you give it a try. I'd really like to get my hands on one of these Binny's 12yo that everyone speaks so highly of.

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by gblick View Post
    The 10yo Centennial is 100 proof, compared to 90 proof for the 12yo. Here in Houston, the 12/90 can be found for around $18 and the 10/100 is around $30. I've never tried the 10/100, but my guess is that it's better than the 12yo. I have tried the 7/107 (Antique), the 7/90 (Special Reserve), and the 12yo, and my favorite of those three is definitely the Antique 107 (yes, I prefer the Antique 107 over the 12yo). I seem to prefer the higher proofs, so I suspect that I'd like the 10/100 Centennial more than the 12yo/90. But since I already think so highly of the Antique 107 and prefer it over the 12yo (which both cost about the same in my area), I just can't justify paying $30 for the 10/100 Centennial when I can find the Antique 107 for under $20. But I should at least buy a bottle of the Centennial, to see what I've been missing. If you haven't tried the Antique 107 yet, I recommend you give it a try. I'd really like to get my hands on one of these Binny's 12yo that everyone speaks so highly of.
    The 10yo is quite nice, but due to the law of diminishing returns, it's not twice as good as the 7/107. But even at that I still prefer it over the younger Weller, and the 12yo for that matter...
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by craigthom View Post

Both are very good whiskies. But, the high price of Centennial has always been the primary reason I've steered away from it over the years, particularly when the 12yr is so awesome, for half the price.

Price differences in different markets being what they are, I'm curious as to your observation of the Centennial and 12 yr being within a few bucks of each other. This is either good news, or bad news, depending on where on the scale these prices are. If both are close to the upper teens in price, then you have a terrific deal on the Centennial. If both are closer to the $30 level, the 12 yr is very high priced.

JOE

Virtuoso

It was, as it turns out, more than a couple of bucks. The 12 yo was $21, the Centennial $26 (less change). This was today at the Fern Valley Liquor Barn in Louisville. It is the most convenient (to me) Liquor Barn, but it is the smallest one. I assume the prices are similar at the others, but I haven't checked.