Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Re: trying to learn more than "casual bourbon drinker"

Quote Originally Posted by craigthom View Post
    It was, as it turns out, more than a couple of bucks. The 12 yo was $21, the Centennial $26 (less change). This was today at the Fern Valley Liquor Barn in Louisville. It is the most convenient (to me) Liquor Barn, but it is the smallest one. I assume the prices are similar at the others, but I haven't checked.
    Interesting, still. I think that 12 yr price is high. Surprising, considering you are in Bourbonia Heaven. But, OTH that Centennial at $26 would still constitute a very good price to me. I'm am used to seeing that one at $30 and above in most markets I visit. Many times, $35-$37. That being said, I personally would go for the Centennial, and wait for lower priced 12 yr.

Cheers!

JOE

Enthusiast

Weller 12 yo is normally $23/bottle in SE Fla, sometimes on sale for $21. Can't get the Antique or the Centennial here at all.

-Kevin

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

The Weller Centennial is a funny product and sort of sticks out like a sore thumb in the Weller line. Even though they have lowered the price from what it was when the Bourbon Heritage Collection of which it was a part was introduced, it is still out of line, Weller-wise. Yes, the proof is a little higher, but Weller 12 is far and away the better value.

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    The Weller Centennial is a funny product and sort of sticks out like a sore thumb in the Weller line. Even though they have lowered the price from what it was when the Bourbon Heritage Collection of which it was a part was introduced, it is still out of line, Weller-wise. Yes, the proof is a little higher, but Weller 12 is far and away the better value.
    I've recently come to understand that Buffalo Trace will no longer bottle the Old Charter Proprietor's Reserve 13yo along with "The Classic" 12yo/90. They will be using the would-be longer-aged whiskey for the OC 10yo, which virtually ran dry during the summer, and which they are rolling out nationally.
    Anyway, makes me wonder if the Weller Centennial, also originally a Bourbon Heritage Collection bottling that uses up whiskey which could be otherwise utilized, will disappear, too.
    Tim

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

I find the commitment to expressions like Weller 12-year-old and Old Charter 10-year-old admirable because it indicates Buffalo Trace wants to build products and brands for the long haul rather than making a quick killing during this period of unusual scarcity. Rather than concentrating on higher margin products they may not be able to grow or even maintain, they are concentrating on products that provide good value and have the potential to grow. Good for us and, in the long term I think, good for them too.

Advanced Taster

So if LeNell don't got it, anyone have any NY area ideas on where the Weller 12 can be found?

Enthusiast

Elmer T. Lee or Rock Hill Farms, and anything Van Winkle. Also Four Roses Single Barrel or Small Batch. You should be able to find that one in NYC as it is only sold there and Kentucky or Overseas.
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough". Mark Twain