Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Novice

What's the most...

What's the most you've ever paid at a bar after saying "Wild Turkey on the rocks" while referring to the regular 101 bottle?

Last night, I paid $10.50 at some shitty San Francisco scene bar in the SOMA, and it was about a shot and a half's worth. I'm sure someone can top that though.

Alternatively, the least I've ever paid was at a dive bar in Cupertino, where they give you at least four shot's worth in a glass for $4.50. I ordered it straight once, and it was seriously half of a good-sized glass of the stuff. Amazing place but depressing as hell because it's loaded with flat-out alcoholics.

Guru

Re: What's the most...

A decent healthy pour around here will run you around 3.50 to 4.00 dollars at most rural bars. Bigger towns like Davenport IA. or Peoria IL. 4.25 to 5.00. The most I can recall paying in a "fancy joint" for plain 'ole 101 would be around 6.75, which I think is getting pretty steep!

There is a rather fancy bar in Rock Island IL. where a very healthy pour (probably something like 2.25 oz. in a large snifter) of RB will only set you back about 13 dollars.

Guru

Post Re: What's the most...

I can't top yours, but I had to pay $8 in the bar of the former Plaza Hotel at Central Park. That was several years ago, though (maybe six years?).

Tim
    Self-Styled Whisky Connoisseur

Advanced Taster

I was at a basketball game here (Memphis Grizzles). Went to the bar (Lexus Lounge) and got a Double WT 101 on the rocks....... get ready for this...... $24

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by wskybnt View Post
    I was at a basketball game here (Memphis Grizzles). Went to the bar (Lexus Lounge) and got a Double WT 101 on the rocks....... get ready for this...... $24
    I would have left it on the bar. Yikes!

Novice

Quote Originally Posted by Brennan77 View Post
    I would have left it on the bar. Yikes!
    Christ, I hear that. If they wanted $24 I would have pointed out that a bottle costs $16 bucks at Bev-Mo and left.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by No Chaser View Post
    Christ, I hear that. If they wanted $24 I would have pointed out that a bottle costs $16 bucks at Bev-Mo and left.

Thats absurd.

The Most I have paid is $7.50, the least? $1.25

TomC

Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by wskybnt View Post

Dude, you have far too much money on your hands. Send it my way, and I'll take care of it for you.

Enthusiast

The most I've ever paid was $13 a glass for Blanton's. I had never heard of it before and the bartender said it was good. what got me is I had three with a really good steak before I knew the price. too bad it was on me and not charged off to the company. WT101 I think is $5. Also I think I paid $11 for Baker's also with a steak and I had to have a whiskeyto pair with it.
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough". Mark Twain

Guru

I typically don't make a habit of paying for drinks when I have so much at home. I was on business in Harare Zimbabwe a number years back and paid .50 cents a shot. Beer ran me .25 cents. Needless to say, we spent a lot of time in the hotel bar.
    “Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.” - P.J. O’Rourke
    Greg's "bourbondork" blog