Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Disciple

Bunker breakout?

After reading so many threads about our bunkers.....I want to know: What kind of special occasion does it take to break that awesome bottle of bourbon out of your bunker? And what is it?

Mine are: 1. Old Taylor 16yr (prohibition)
    2. PVW 23 green glass
    3. PVW 23 SB.com

As far as special enough occasion.....I have not found one yet.

Jeff Mo.

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

Re: Bunker breakout?

Well, I guess this would require a gathering of like-minded people with whom to share said prizes with...the Gazebo is a good time to do such things, or any other meetup that you can plan with fellow SBers. Also weddings/anniversaries/graduations(mine for instance!)

Some of those bottles may include (but are not limited to):
    A.H.Hirsch 20
    Stagg 2002
    Complete set of Saz 18
    Weller 19
    VWFRR C bottling (or any of my Lburg VW bottlings-Twisted Spoke, etc)
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

Enthusiast

OK, I'm going to be totally contrary.

I don't consider anything in my bunker off limit or saved for a special occation. You might get hit by a bus tomorrow, so no sense putting it off. You'll just end up with your kids chucking it all in the trash. I like to have a bout 6-8 bottle sopen at any one time. One or two of them many would consider jewels. When I kill off a bottle I open another one. Current jewels in the bunker are there only because I haven't gotten to them yet, not because i am saving them for anything.

One exception I could see is if you bought a bottle of Birthday Bouron that matched your childs birth year and want to open it when they hit 21, get married, etc. Something like that is acceptable.

Also, if the bourbon is really special, you'll want to consider it in a quiet controlled environment. Not at some big event or party. So I wouldn't want to crack open that special bottle at a wedding for instance, that would be a waste. I'll crack open something really rare or special when I have the house to myself and can give it the attention and concentration it deserves. Once I've come to terms with the bottle I will then gladly offer pours to people I know will appreciate it. That's just with really crazy stuff though, most rarities/dusties are fair game to anyone at my house once opened.

Cheers,
    Mike

"You're the best bourbon drinkers ever!" - Margo (waitress at Bourbon's Bistro in Louisville)

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

I agree but of course that's just me. I wonder what that Prohibition Taylor is like!

Gary

Disciple

The Taylor is being saved for my Dad and I to taste. I will report our findings. Whenever that is?

Jeff Mo.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by MikeK View Post
    Also, if the bourbon is really special, you'll want to consider it in a quiet controlled environment.... I'll crack open something really rare or special when I have the house to myself and can give it the attention and concentration it deserves. Once I've come to terms with the bottle I will then gladly offer pours to people I know will appreciate it.
    Yep, that's me right there! I think that's the best way to enjoy bottles like that, most of the time anyway.
    /\../\

"I've had eighteen straight whiskies, I think that's the record . . ." - Dylan Thomas

Connoisseur

I'll admit to having a hard time opening "treasures," but I have so many now, I need to start. My bunker is officially beyond out of control. That said, there are only a couple that I just plain won't open for quite a while:

WT Tribute (though depending on how American Spirit is, I may change my mind)
    Old Forester BIB 1966-1971 (the oldest whiskey in my collection)
    Willett's #1 (I was fortunate enough to get a bottle, but I've never dropped $100 for a whiskey, so this would be tough to replace...impossible, technically, but what I'm getting at is what else would even come close?)

I think if I have a kid, I might open one of the above, and there's a milestone birthday or two that would likely be worthy of breaking one out, but short of that, I think these bottles are all good enough in and of themselves to be the occasion for which they are opened.

Quote Originally Posted by TBoner View Post
    I'll admit to having a hard time opening "treasures,"...
    I don't quite understand this -- why'd you buy them, then? (Yeah, I'm being a little provocatively snarky, but for a point.) Books are cheaper if you're just filling shelf space.

...there are only a couple that I just plain won't open for quite a while:

WT Tribute (though depending on how American Spirit is, I may change my mind)
    Old Forester BIB 1966-1971 (the oldest whiskey in my collection)
    Willett's #1 (I was fortunate enough to get a bottle, but I've never dropped $100 for a whiskey, so this would be tough to replace...impossible, technically, but what I'm getting at is what else would even come close?)...
    So, you really don't want to salute Jimmy by DRINKING his Tribute, the Old Forester is a 'bunker queen', and you wasted $100 on a bottle of Willet's you don't want to drink?..

..I think if I have a kid, I might open one of the above, and there's a milestone birthday or two that would likely be worthy of breaking one out, but short of that, I think these bottles are all good enough in and of themselves to be the occasion for which they are opened.
    Your newborn won't realize for quite a few years whether or not you toasted his/her arrival; whiskey doesn't go bad, so it'll last till those 'milestone' birthdays'; and if they're really that good, how would you know, and why would you refrain?

In short: Drink it, man, drink it! Simply put, I won't own a bottle I wouldn't open. (Ask Mike -- aka, Scratchline -- he saw all the open bottles here.)
    Tim

Disciple

I think that Tboners point and mine as well is, we will drink them, just not right now. I probably have 35-40 bottles open right now. That is why some bottles are reserved for special occasions.
    The big point to buying them is that they won't be there in the near future. Buy now...enjoy at my own pace. Don't buy now....never get the oportunity.

Jeff Mo.

Bad Girl and Bourbonian Of The Year 2012

Quote Originally Posted by mozilla View Post
    we will drink them, just not right now.
    I keep mine on display in a china cabinet!! I wholeheartedly agree with your sentiment