Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Connoisseur

Re: Bunker breakout?

I'll admit to having a hard time opening "treasures," but I have so many now, I need to start. My bunker is officially beyond out of control. That said, there are only a couple that I just plain won't open for quite a while:

WT Tribute (though depending on how American Spirit is, I may change my mind)
    Old Forester BIB 1966-1971 (the oldest whiskey in my collection)
    Willett's #1 (I was fortunate enough to get a bottle, but I've never dropped $100 for a whiskey, so this would be tough to replace...impossible, technically, but what I'm getting at is what else would even come close?)

I think if I have a kid, I might open one of the above, and there's a milestone birthday or two that would likely be worthy of breaking one out, but short of that, I think these bottles are all good enough in and of themselves to be the occasion for which they are opened.

Quote Originally Posted by TBoner View Post
    I'll admit to having a hard time opening "treasures,"...
    I don't quite understand this -- why'd you buy them, then? (Yeah, I'm being a little provocatively snarky, but for a point.) Books are cheaper if you're just filling shelf space.

...there are only a couple that I just plain won't open for quite a while:

WT Tribute (though depending on how American Spirit is, I may change my mind)
    Old Forester BIB 1966-1971 (the oldest whiskey in my collection)
    Willett's #1 (I was fortunate enough to get a bottle, but I've never dropped $100 for a whiskey, so this would be tough to replace...impossible, technically, but what I'm getting at is what else would even come close?)...
    So, you really don't want to salute Jimmy by DRINKING his Tribute, the Old Forester is a 'bunker queen', and you wasted $100 on a bottle of Willet's you don't want to drink?..

..I think if I have a kid, I might open one of the above, and there's a milestone birthday or two that would likely be worthy of breaking one out, but short of that, I think these bottles are all good enough in and of themselves to be the occasion for which they are opened.
    Your newborn won't realize for quite a few years whether or not you toasted his/her arrival; whiskey doesn't go bad, so it'll last till those 'milestone' birthdays'; and if they're really that good, how would you know, and why would you refrain?

In short: Drink it, man, drink it! Simply put, I won't own a bottle I wouldn't open. (Ask Mike -- aka, Scratchline -- he saw all the open bottles here.)
    Tim

Disciple

I think that Tboners point and mine as well is, we will drink them, just not right now. I probably have 35-40 bottles open right now. That is why some bottles are reserved for special occasions.
    The big point to buying them is that they won't be there in the near future. Buy now...enjoy at my own pace. Don't buy now....never get the oportunity.

Jeff Mo.

Connoisseur

I think if a buddy wanted to try any of my bottles I would let them...with the exception of 1.
    I purchased a bottle of PVW 20 for my B-day in Feb of 2006. That's the most I have ever spent on one bottle, and I was saving it for who knows what. A guy where I work died and when I got back from the funeral I guess I kind of felt like MikeK said...it could be any of us any time, and I ought to enjoy what I have. So I raised a glass of PVW 20 to Joselito Barber. So that started a little tribute I guess. At work when someone is killed in the line of duy we wear black bands on our badges until the funeral. I have my black band on my PVW 20, and I pour a drink every time the band goes back on to the bottle. I only have had 4 drinks (Joselito Barber, Eddie Thomas, Steve Cox, and Michael Estes) so maybe it will last a while. I have 15 years to go until I retire, maybe it will last!
    But the rest of my bottles...They are just too fun to open and taste.

Todd

Bad Girl and Bourbonian Of The Year 2012

Quote Originally Posted by mozilla View Post
    we will drink them, just not right now.
    I keep mine on display in a china cabinet!! I wholeheartedly agree with your sentiment

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by T47 View Post
    (Joselito Barber, Eddie Thomas, Steve Cox, and Michael Estes)
    I raise a glass of Antique Bourbon from Owensboro 1982 to your co-workers taken from you and their families. Here's to you Fella's!

Jeff Mo.

Advanced Taster

I have quite a few open bottles but many that remain closed and will do so until I am ready to open them. Just because I bought them doesn't mean I have to open them now. Different strokes for different folks. Besides, my opinion is that books don't look as good on shelves as fine spirits...

Virtuoso

Two that I have that I'm not ready to open yet are PVW20 and Old Fitz BIB ( distilled Spring of 1970 & bottled Fall of 1976). There are also some others, but those are the main ones. Gives me something to look forward to, and I'm in no hurry.

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

I've only got one not opened, and the only reason is I've promised it to Cliff in a trade.

But I can understand those who collect to open later, or even not at all. Personal choice.

As I said earlier some people have the collecting bug and the value (even just to them) is enhanced if the item is sealed.

Gary

Virtuoso

As my British-born brother-in-law is firmly in the Scotch camp, the Ardbeg 1977 tends to come out when he shows up at my place. Once that's gone, the Campbeltown Loch 25 will get opened.

As for the special American pours, they get opened when I feel like having a treat.
    Oh no! You have walked into the slavering fangs of a lurking grue!