Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Virtuoso

Re: Bunker breakout?

When I found out we were having our second child. I invited some buddies over and we cracked into one of my bottles of the 18yr. old Distillers Masterpiece. It really is too good to save. If I have a bad week at work it always cheers me up!

I currently have about 30 bottles open and maybe another 30+ not! As one goes down a new one gets opened, but if someone came over and said hey lets try that one! It's getting opened.

I agree, drink them all! and if you need them full buy a couple 1.75L of JB white and refill them and put them on the shelf...just don't pawn it off to a friend after you do that .
    "So long as the presence of death lurks with anyone who goes through the simple act of swallowing, I will make mine whiskey"

Connoisseur

I figure that the longer I let a bottle sit the harder it will be to open if it is one that I donít think I will be able to replace but itís reason for sitting there in the first place is to be drank. Some bottles look nicer than others and I like to display the nicer ones so I see them often and when I look at them I always think about breaking the seal and pouring a glass so I can finally taste it. There is one bottle I have that I have reserved for a particular occasion that has yet to happen, I donít know when it will but when it does Iím breaking the seal and pulling the cork ASAP. As for the others, whenever; Iím really in no rush. Sometimes Iíll use an occasion to open a bottle and sometimes Iíll make a split second decision to open one (sometimes this is the result of the split second invention of an occasion to open one! ). I never regret opening one though.
    I can understand both the ďjust open it alreadyĒ attitude and the opposite ďsave it for/until <whatever>Ē attitude but for me all that really matters is that it gets opened. Admiring it on the shelf for however long is just an added bonus to owning it. The only thing better than having and admiring a rare bottle is opening it.
    I will admit, my attitude is mainly driven by selfishness. If the seal on any of my bottles outlasted me then someone else would open them and that's not what I bought them for. Don't get me wrong, I'm not unwilling to share at all. In fact just today I tried to talk my friend who doesn't even like bourbon into tasting two of my favorites (one of which I'm certain I'll never get to buy again) with me because I thought at least one of them, if not both, might possibly change their mind about bourbon.
    /\../\

"I've had eighteen straight whiskies, I think that's the record . . ." - Dylan Thomas

Novice

I too collect whiskey... so that I can drink it!
    Hopefully sooner rather than later. Oh I don't have any long term goals, to open a special bottle at my child's wedding or 21st birthday, who's to say that they will even like whiskey at that point in their life?
    I know I wasn't a big fan of it until recently, but one can only hope that, with the proper guidance and encouragement, family and friends will learn to appreciate the delightful nuances of whiskey.
    If they don't, and I pass on without drinking some of my prizes, what will become of my bunker? I guess I shouldn't care if I'm not around but I feel that I have an obligation to the excellent people who lovingly put all their efforts into creating our fine drinks to find a proper home for my orphaned whiskey.
    How would you feel if your family just tossed your bottles into the trash? As unlikely as that may sound, I'm sure it happens often enough for me to shed a tear just thinking about it.
    I imagine that I could bequeath my whiskey to someone that I know would show it the respect that it deserves, "... being of sound mind and body I would like my entire collection of whiskey to go to the fine folks at StraightBourbon.com..." a gesture that would assure my whiskey would be well cared for indeed but why even let get too that point?

People save many things for special occasions that may or may not come, I believe that everyday that you are alive is a special occasion. Celebrate each day with family, friends, good food, great whiskey! So in other words, just drink it baby!

Connoisseur

I only have one bottle, out of many, that I have no plans on opening. That would be my Weller 19 that I found a couple of years ago. I have a lot of great open bottles right now and don't see the need to open that one. I hope to find another and open it but until then it will remain sealed. One day, whether I find a replacement or not, it will be opened.
    Tim

I am going where streams of whiskey are flowing...

Connoisseur

Over the summer there was a warm Saturday night where it stayed around 80 degrees until the wee hours. A couple of my neighbors and I killed one of my Papy 23's and put a good dent in a bottle of Stagg. Well worth it; wish we could have got a few other guys out; I'd have opened Pappy 23 #2 (signed by Julian).

Enthusiast

I don't have anything bunkered that I wouldn't open. I will usually share something upscale (PVW20, 15, Stagg) with friends, hoping to enlighten them about bourbon. But, if the reaction I get is indifference, I try to make a note not to waste the better stuff on them.

-Kevin

Advanced Taster

Any bottle in my bunker is available to someone that will appreciate it. When I first started my bourbon journey, I thought I'd save some for special times. I have since decided (based in part on the generosity of Stoopsie with his bunker), as MikeK pointed out, if I get hit by a bus tomorrow I want to have tried them all. I may not open one bottle or another for a while, but only because I have more open than I can drink. That would not stop me from opening any one of them for someone that wanted to try it, though.

Jay
    Saturday night I was downtown
    Working for the FBI
    Sitting in a nest of bad men
    Whisky bottles piling high
    - The Hollies