Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Connoisseur

greetings from PA by way of MS

hello sister and brother bourbon lovers!

i don't join forums lightly and, thus, figured my dedication to the Spirit warranted signing on, listening to the more experienced and sharing my own.

i live outside of Philly in the state that originally produced Michter's (!), but hail from the deeper southern part of the u.s.

long ago, as an excited by quite inexperienced whiskey taster, i first fell for Old Charter often carrying a bottle into the stadium at Mississippi State University. yep, i mixed then.

got a better sense of the NEAT experience (oddly) through my first bottle of Old Bushmills.

my first true experience with "bourbon" probably wasn't had in any memorable situation. a probably common and sad start, but all things DO start in the mud, right?

through the years, i kept returning to whiskey, then particularly, bourbon, esp. when Autumn set in...leaves and landscape turning the same color of the Spirit!

i find that i still don't sip as often in the hotter months (maybe it's due to having lived and worked in Mississippi for most of my life!), but, now, being in PA, where it actually gets cold and snows, i am truly appreciating and enjoying my seemingly natural affection for great, crafted bourbon. i love good ales and beer (and Guinness draft!) as well as some vodka when the temps hit deep freeze. but for some time now, bourbon is the singular spirit that connects me in an odd, mystical way to the land, to earth.

each bourbon possibly leads us to that point in different ways. that's the fun of it! i am looking forward to more intense, colder drafts of air as the season sets in. winter is a favorite for me. but Autumn and, at this time, Russell's Reserve 90 (which expansively gets better as the bottle goes down...yes, over the entire week, not TONIGHT!) is helping set the stage for another round of hunkering down as the days get shorter...and shorter.

cheers and thanks to both cameron and bobby for their help with my earlier questions!

andy

p.s.
    i admit to being quite a Wild Turkey fan. and why not!
    have gone through, in the last decade+, Knob Creek, Elijah Craig, Woodford Reserve, Maker's Mark, Michter's and the usual lesser suspects. Curious about the WT RR 101 (still available?).

and have yet to try to much lauded WT Rare Breed....
    next paycheck....

Virtuoso

Re: greetings from PA by way of MS

Welcome to the site from the motor city!! Nice work on you bourbons already. i would recomend the Eagle Rare SB 10 yr.

The WTRR 101 is still out there but you have to find it. No it is not made any more but I've seen it on shelves.

Enjoy your stay the knowledge is vast and the pours are smooth so cheers to PA with my glass of 2005 Stagg KY spring release (it's cool here tonight but not with the Stagg).

Tony
    "So long as the presence of death lurks with anyone who goes through the simple act of swallowing, I will make mine whiskey"

Guru

Welcome to the site Andy. Nice to have someone else here from my neck of the woods. If you ever get up to the Reading area, give me a shout. A good pour or two awaits you.
    Joe
    Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

"Bourbon.....It's cheaper than therapy!!"

Taster

Smile Re: greetings from PA by way of MS

Hay Cuz
    Good to see another Reb on board even a good ole DWAG. weel hollar at ja later.

J.W.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by ACDetroit View Post
    Welcome to the site from the motor city!! Nice work on you bourbons already. i would recomend the Eagle Rare SB 10 yr.

The WTRR 101 is still out there but you have to find it. No it is not made any more but I've seen it on shelves.

Enjoy your stay the knowledge is vast and the pours are smooth so cheers to PA with my glass of 2005 Stagg KY spring release (it's cool here tonight but not with the Stagg).

Tony
    thanks tony and greetings

the Eagle rare you speak of is on my list! thanks for the tip. haven't seen it around here yet! have yet to track down here or in delaware anything of the likes of stagg and other desired bottles. going to try to be patient like most great bourbons exhibit in their makin' and distillatin' !

cheers, andy

Connoisseur

thanks joe for the greets from reading PA! have yet to make it that way, but, being as much a fan of bourbon as i am vintage diecast (esp. Matchbox!), i know there will be shows in the future in that area.

since PA liquor laws are new to me (you have to buy a CASE of beer!), are the same bourbons offered at all the state stores? i've noticed only one here (luckily, my area store) carries 3 different Michter's. pricey, but glad it's there!

J.W., howdEEE! what part of mississippi do you hail from? though born in bama, i grew up in east MS, north of meridian (specifically, SCOOBA!).

after many years in starkville (yeah, the Dawgs! ) and jackson, i spent my last two years on the gulf coast (Long Beach) and worked in gulfport.

luckily, i left a little before Katrina hit.....

here's to more comparison notes and good talk on this excellent forum.

cheers,
    andy

Administrator in exile

Welcome
    Simplicity is the essence of universality - MK Ghandi

Guru

Andy,
    Basically, all the stores "have access" to the same things. The "specialty stores" will always have the biggest selection although you can order anything PA carries at ANY liquor store. Hope this helps.
    Joe
    Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

"Bourbon.....It's cheaper than therapy!!"

Connoisseur

Thumbs up Re: greetings from PA by way of MS

Quote Originally Posted by J.W. View Post
    Hay Cuz
    Good to see another Reb on board even a good ole DAWG. weel hollar at ja later.

J.W.
    ah, just had to point out that we did it...our very slow to mature, but becoming flavorful MSU bulldogs beat the wildcats today. to be honest, i was surprised. we ARE getting better. we did get an early season thrashing by LSU....and i did cheer for KENTUCKY against both LSU and Florida...but we beat AUBURN, too. Coach Croom is finally making an effect (i hope). i still have faith in him!

anyways, i'm still not one to gloat over a victory. i will celebrate by enjoying a couple of pours of some Kentucky bourbon in a bit. the torrential rain has ended and the wet leaves and cool air are inviting me outside to enjoy a few sips!

Advanced Taster

Hello from Philly, Andy! I saw your question about how liquor stores stock here, and thought I'd offer some help. Joe's right that the premium collection or outlet stores will have a wider selection, and if you're looking for a specific bottle, you can always go the PLCB's product search page and search for it in your area. It will tell you not only which stores in your city or county have the bottling, but also how many they have and at what price. Pretty nifty little time saver.

The page can also show you all the sales and closeouts on bourbon for a given month; I've gotten some really good deals when things go on closeout.

Good luck searching!