Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.

Hybrid View

Taster

New Member from NC

Greetings form Charlotte, NC. My name is Rich, and I am fairly new to bourbon and American whisky. Actually, enjoyed bourbon when I was a teenager (I am now 42). While new to bourbon, I am not to whisky; I have been very much a single malt scotch guy for about five years or so ( I have tried about 325 expressions, and keep detailed tasting notes).

Thus far, my favorite American whiskeys have been George Stage 2005, Old Potrero Single Malt Whiskey Essay 7-RW-ARM-6 100% Rye uncharred oak barrels(61%, OB, December 31st, 1907- July 14th, 2000), Wild Turkey Russell's Reserve 101 (55.05%, OB), AH Hirsch Reserve 16yo (45.8%, Preiss, from Michter Dist.), and Sazerac 18yo (45%, OB, Fall 2005). I read the forum, and am enjoying learning about American whiskeys.

While I still identify mostly as a SMS guy, I am really trying to learn and appreciate American whiskies more. My current pour: an American classic, WT 101. A darn fine pour, yet without the depth and complexity that I sometimes wish for, but good, spicy fun.

If there is anyone in the Charlotte area interested in perhaps a drink or swapping samples of bourbon for SMS (that is what I have the most of, and have a pretty darn good collection, if I do say so myself), let me know.

Rich

Connoisseur

Re: New Member from NC

Rich,
    I can't really help you with trades or anything being that I am in WA., but welcometo SB.com anyway!
    You've got a nice start on some fine Bourbons and Ryes there.
    I have found myself buying some SMS on occasion when I can't find a Bourbon I need. Though I have only tasted a few my favorite is Aberlour A'bunadh. I have had the Aberlour 10, 12, and then a few expressions of Glenmorangie which I have enjoyed. I don't care for the "peat" flavors.
    If you want to learn about Bourbon and other American Whiskey's this is the spot for sure. Lot's of great knowledge and people.

Todd

Virtuoso

Welcome aboard! I also started out with SMS, but I now tend to go for bourbon or rye more often than not. Sometimes, though, I just have to get a good peat fix (a couple of nights ago I revisited my Bruichladdich 3D first edition), or a nice sherried Speysider (I'll second and third the a'bunadh recommendation).
    Oh no! You have walked into the slavering fangs of a lurking grue!

The Boss

Welcome Rich!

Just remember though; around here, it's a barrel, not a cask. Barrels don't become casks until after the bourbon industry has had their way with them.
    Jim Butler
    Straightbourbon.com

Advanced Taster

Welcome Rich! You've come to the right place. There is an absolute wealth of bourbon info on this site. A lot of folks here (myself included) also appreciate a good SMS. Enjoy!
    Kevin

"Why don't you quit cryin' and get me some bourbon?"

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by whiskeyhatch View Post
    Welcome Rich! You've come to the right place. There is an absolute wealth of bourbon info on this site. A lot of folks here (myself included) also appreciate a good SMS. Enjoy!
    Thanks for the welcome. A weath of information is a massive understatement- I am shocked at the level of knoweldge and passion here...very good stuff.

Connoisseur

Well good luck in NC. The ABC system is pretty restrictive - selection is generally limited. Though my understanding is that you can order by the case if it's not regular carry item. From Charlotte you may have to run down to Greenville or Columbia to find a Greens for a good selection.
    Craig

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by cas View Post
    Well good luck in NC. The ABC system is pretty restrictive - selection is generally limited. Though my understanding is that you can order by the case if it's not regular carry item. From Charlotte you may have to run down to Greenville or Columbia to find a Greens for a good selection.
    Craig
    There actaully are two stores just south of the border that are very, very good. Both has outstnading selection of American whiskies and single malt..

Bad Girl and Bourbonian Of The Year 2012

Frugal McDoogals.....or something like that....right by the entrance to Carowinds Amusement park....somebody at that store is a bourbon drinker! They had a great selection! (They were out of the BTAC....but had evidence of it being on the shelves!)

Did I meet you at the gazebo with Brett? Your story sounds familiar?

Dawn

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by luv2hunt View Post
    Frugal McDoogals.....or something like that....right by the entrance to Carowinds Amusement park....somebody at that store is a bourbon drinker! They had a great selection! (They were out of the BTAC....but had evidence of it being on the shelves!)

Did I meet you at the gazebo with Brett? Your story sounds familiar?

Dawn
    No, must have been somthing else. yes, that is one of the two stores. The otherone is Southern Spirts..both are good, and both have great whisky/whiskey selections, and relativly good prices..

Are you in the area? Always nice to share a dram with a local...

Rich