Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Re: Wisconsin Belgian Red

Dane, I have a bottle of Unibroue's Ephemere in the fridge, I got it in Montreal a few weeks ago. It really is very good, I am sorry you can't find more of it in your area. It uses (to my taste) the Canadian McIntosh apple which has quite a specific flavor and odor. You might consider pouring a glass half-full with one of those stronger-tasting local fruit brews and then fill the other with a beer from the same brewery that isn't fruited, or use another beer that would serve well for this purpose. I drank half the Wisconsin Belgian Red one day (it's a 26-ouncer), and the next day I blended the remaining half with a local microbrewery ale (Wellington County's Iron Duke). It cut the sweetness and still preserved plenty of the cherry taste, while stiffening the malt base (since Belgian Red is partly a wheat brew).

Gary

Connoisseur

Dane,

You mentioned an Ephemere with currants? I haven't seen this. I know we get an annual release with cranberries, which have a very strong flavor but to me don't quite overwhelm the beer. Still, I prefer the apple. I'd be interested in trying one with currants.

The currants version is rare and hard to find in Canada, interesting that it has a presence in the western U.S.

Gary
    Last edited by Gillman; 10-13-2007 at 13:02.

Guru

Well, not in the Western states exactly but a strong presence in St Louis before I left a year ago. Lukas Liquor Superstore, The Wine and Cheese Place, and Wine Merchant LTD were three of my favorite stores for picking up greater varieties of beers as well as bourbons and all three had the currants version. Probably all from the same distributor I'm sure.
    Dane
    I don't drink to excess. But I'll drink to most anything else.

Connoisseur

Good to know, Dane. My brother lives in St. Louis, so next time I visit him, I'll have to bring some home.

BTW, what's the dusty situation up there? Did you pick it over pretty well?

Administrator in exile

We got to try this beer at a recent BJCP class, the Belgian Red that is, and I thought it was quite pleasant with a good amount of malt that balanced the cherries nicely. I wish we could get New Glarus beers down here.
    Simplicity is the essence of universality - MK Ghandi

Both the apple and currants versions of Ephemere (which means ephemeral in French - the idea was these beers would be rare seasonal releases originally) are reviewed in the current issue of All About Beer. The magazine's Buyer's Guide feature focuses on wheat brews and has an excellent survey of some of the best currently available in this category including imports, micro beers and some made by old-established breweries. The Saranac fruit beers look most interesting, for example. It will assist people living in different parts of the country who are interested in these brews.

This issue of AAB is one of the best ever.

It has a fine tribute to Michael Jackson, simple but effective with an excellent photo retrospective.

It has a superb, lengthy article on how the beer renaissance has proceeded in the South and South West with historical and social references that would interest many in the whiskey world. The article does not cover Kentucky - or even refer to it - and my sense is as a border State Kentucky is not considered part of the South for the purposes of the article. Still, it is a fascinating survey, e.g., it is noted that Alabama and Mississippi still prohibit the sale of beer with an ABV in excess of 6%. Nonetheless the beer renaissance has implanted there and the owner of a small brewery in Alabama is interviewed for example. There is reference to a book by an Alabama university professor on the history of the Southern Temperance movement which looks most interesting. His name is Joe Coker and further details are available for those interested at www.kentuckypress.com.

An excellent issue all 'round.

Gary