Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
    Taster

1 liter Oak Barrel

Any advantage to storing a younger Bourbon in a small oak barrel for a few months or so? Or maybe blending a couple different profiles together? I found these @ www.oldworldbarrel.com. Just thought it an interesting experiment.
    Fwisge For All!

Virtuoso

Re: 1 liter Oak Barrel

Quote Originally Posted by jimibourbonhammered View Post
    Any advantage to storing a younger Bourbon in a small oak barrel for a few months or so? Or maybe blending a couple different profiles together? I found these @ www.oldworldbarrel.com. Just thought it an interesting experiment.
    With that little volume to surface I'd check on it very often.
    The advantage of such a small barrel is that the liquid investment is minimal.

My guess is that the first two or three fills might be quick warmups using humble spirits before you would put in your favorite whiskey for a good long while that would benefit from air interaction as well as oak.

I've done 1-3 gallon experiments, and the downside is just how much whiskey is involved. A liter should be a fun and mamageable size.

Roger

Disciple

I have a few thoughts:
    1. A used barrel is about $45 for 53 gallon.
    2. I can't remember where I've heard it....new white dog put in a barrel and rolled 100 yds, taste different then new white dog. Might have been that Makers video posted earlier.
    3. Pick your bourbon wisely. The flavors will shine through.
    4. Experiments are fun!

Jeff Mo.

Disciple

Oh yeah,
    You can char your own barrel....Woodford and Mike V put on a class to test the theory. The post is on the other site(be.com).
    There are alot of opinions as to what proof, age and grain type to use.....I found it very helpful to run my ideas past a few members before jumping in with both feet. Good luck!

Jeff Mo.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by jimibourbonhammered View Post
    Any advantage? Not really. You're as likey to screw the whiskey up as you are to improve it. I don't say that to discourage you, just to put the enterprise in perspective. Home aging is something fun to mess around with, but not a guaranteed boon by any means.

For some reason the last post reminds me of the time a friend and I took a distiller that we found in an unused cabinet at work, and distilled a half bottle of wine into about a quarter bottle of bad tasting clear liquid :-)

It didn't taste much stronger, and it had a distinct grappa flavor to it. Have I mentioned I hate grappa?

Joel
    "Oh Bother!" said Pooh as he slapped another magazine in his AK-47...

http://vinesnwines.blogspot.com