Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Virtuoso

Re: I'm Trying to Start a New Trend.

Here's my take on the debate Chuck started. I'd love to hear anyone else's comments:

http://recenteats.blogspot.com/2007/...-not-to-e.html

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by sku View Post
    Here's my take on the debate Chuck started. I'd love to hear anyone else's comments:
    Kevin Erskine is right on all counts.

But when in doubt or speaking generically, I'll use the "e", 'cause I'm a 'Merican (not a Mercian).

Roger

Disciple

I have always tried to use the spelling appropriate to the region. However, I find that I am swayed by Chuck's arguments. That, and memories of single malt drinkers who have adamantly claimed that bourbon is not whiskey because it isn't scotch. Not that I have run into this very often, but I have on more that one occasion.

Ed
    Bourbon makes me happy.

Go Fighters!

Connoisseur

Talking the w(e)st

interesting...in that whiskey is a true native american spirit.

and whiskey was pretty much born in ireland. which quite predates america....

whiskey goes east towards scotland, crosses the water and the 'e' falls into the sea......and becomes (scotch) whisk y!

[of course, the whiskey traveling east to west (to america), the 'e' stayed on board!]

hmmmm.....
    HUP!

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Edward_call_me_Ed View Post
    I have always tried to use the spelling appropriate to the region. However, I find that I am swayed by Chuck's arguments. That, and memories of single malt drinkers who have adamantly claimed that bourbon is not whiskey because it isn't scotch. Not that I have run into this very often, but I have on more that one occasion.

Ed

I would be interested to know whether such an attitude is from ignorance or snobbery. I'd also like to ask if one considers only whisky made from malted barley to be whisk(e)y how would that person define a distillate made from a fermented grain mash containing grains other than barley?

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by ILLfarmboy View Post
    I would be interested to know whether such an attitude is from ignorance or snobbery. I'd also like to ask if one considers only whisky made from malted barley to be whisk(e)y how would that person define a distillate made from a fermented grain mash containing grains other than barley?
    Equal parts each as far as I can tell. The truely knowable scotch drinkers I have known understand that bourbon is whiskey. One guy I had this conversation with said, "Scotch is whiskey. Bourbon isn't, bourbon is bourbon." I told him to look the relevant terms up in a dictionary.

Ed
    Bourbon makes me happy.

Go Fighters!

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

I concede that I am trying to get people to think differently. I also think that most of the opponents of my recommendation have helped me make the point because, for the most part, their argument is that while "color" and "colour" are just different spellings of the same word, "whisky" and "whiskey" are two different words. I believe that position is both wrong on its face, unsupported by any lexiconic authority, and illogical.