Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14
  1. #1
    Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Garden Grove, California
    Posts
    286

    Kopper Kettle Virginian Whiskey

    Anyone tried this? I'm thinking of buying a bottle. It's only 22 dollars so if it's horrible, it's not a huge setback.

    "Kopper Kettle Virginian Whiskey:

    Belmont Farms is proud to introduce Virginia's first original recipe which is registered and trademarked "Virginia Whiskey," KOPPER KETTLE. Kopper Kettle is a triple grain whiskey, double wood, and twice distilled. The Virginia Whiskey is first produced with grain grown on our farm (the only distillery in the U.S. that grows its own grain). It is a secret formula of corn, wheat, and barley and is mashed and fermented in our all copper fermentation tanks. Then, at just the right time, it is double distilled in our unique potstill."

    http://www.virginiamoonshine.com/copperFox.html
    --Mark

    When I drink whiskey, I drink whiskey; and when I drink water, I drink water.

  2. #2
    Guru
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Napoleon, MI
    Posts
    7,283

    Re: Kopper Kettle Virginian Whiskey

    I would love to try it.
    I know I'll never see it, but it does sound and look interesting.
    ovh

  3. #3
    Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru
    Join Date
    Sep 1999
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    12,390

    Re: Kopper Kettle Virginian Whiskey

    I'm often very critical of so-called micro-distillers, but these guys seem to be doing it right. My only objection, and it's a small one, is their misleading conflation of what they are doing with moonshining, furthering the misplaced romanticizing of illegal distilling.

  4. #4
    Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    virginia
    Posts
    441

    Re: Kopper Kettle Virginian Whiskey

    We have not tried it yet, but we are curious about how it compares to Copper Fox, which was aged only 4 months but in a very interesting manner with toasted apple wood chips in the barrel. Given that there's no mention of the apple wood chips on the website, we assume that this is aged longer but more "conventionally."

    An intriguing aside - our understanding (not gospel as we've not seen it for ourselves) is that this distillery has secured the privilege of selling its products on site - unheard of the control state of VA where ABC is king. Even A. Smith Bowman (Virginia Gentleman) has never sold its products on site as far as we know.
    Dave & Tina
    (Thank you, Jim!)

  5. #5
    Virtuoso
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Louisville
    Posts
    1,091

    Re: Kopper Kettle Virginian Whiskey

    It's there, but it's pretty far down:

    Kopper Kettle is then charcoal filtered and presoaked with oak and apple wood chips before it is aged in barrels for two years.

  6. #6
    Virtuoso
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    1,394

    Re: Kopper Kettle Virginian Whiskey

    I have Copper Fox and Virginia Lightning, and I've gotta say I like their white dog Virginia Lightning much better than the barely aged Copper Fox. The Fox seemed like white dog that had been flavored, not aged long enough that it had become a different creature yet.

    And no, Virginia Lightning white dog is _not_ nasty, popskull stuff; it's actually sweeter and milder than the whiskey it would become with aging.

    Roger

  7. #7
    Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Garden Grove, California
    Posts
    286

    Re: Kopper Kettle Virginian Whiskey

    I'll be ordering the Virginia Lightning. I'll probably add this as well.
    --Mark

    When I drink whiskey, I drink whiskey; and when I drink water, I drink water.

  8. #8
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    681

    Re: Kopper Kettle Virginian Whiskey

    Quote Originally Posted by Rughi View Post
    I have Copper Fox and Virginia Lightning, and I've gotta say I like their white dog Virginia Lightning much better than the barely aged Copper Fox. The Fox seemed like white dog that had been flavored, not aged long enough that it had become a different creature yet.

    And no, Virginia Lightning white dog is _not_ nasty, popskull stuff; it's actually sweeter and milder than the whiskey it would become with aging.

    Roger
    Roger, still have the bottle of Virginia Lightening you gave me a long time ago at one of the get togethers. I love the label. I do remember the tasting we did and how smooth it was. Thanks again. Greg.
    "That rug really tied the room together" -- Jeffery Lebowski

  9. #9
    Advanced Taster
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    180

    Re: Kopper Kettle Virginian Whiskey

    Quote Originally Posted by NorCalBoozer View Post
    Roger, still have the bottle of Virginia Lightening you gave me a long time ago at one of the get togethers. I love the label. I do remember the tasting we did and how smooth it was. Thanks again. Greg.
    While I will agree that it is pretty smooth (not overly alcoholy), I found my bottle of Virginia Lightning to have a pretty nasty flavor (I posted my "wet dog and corn" tasting experience in the newbie forum). I was not sure what to expect, so maybe I was just in a bit of shock.

    I planned to revisit and see if my tastes have changed. I tried Copper Fox at the same time and got the same impression so I revisit that one, too. If I can secure a bottle of Kopper Kettle, I'll try all three at the same time and compare.

    Jay
    Saturday night I was downtown
    Working for the FBI
    Sitting in a nest of bad men
    Whisky bottles piling high
    - The Hollies

  10. #10
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    681

    Re: Kopper Kettle Virginian Whiskey

    Quote Originally Posted by jspero View Post
    While I will agree that it is pretty smooth (not overly alcoholy), I found my bottle of Virginia Lightning to have a pretty nasty flavor (I posted my "wet dog and corn" tasting experience in the newbie forum). I was not sure what to expect, so maybe I was just in a bit of shock.

    I planned to revisit and see if my tastes have changed. I tried Copper Fox at the same time and got the same impression so I revisit that one, too. If I can secure a bottle of Kopper Kettle, I'll try all three at the same time and compare.

    Jay
    I remember I was expecting some very harsh and bitter alcoholic taste(a la nail polish) and so was surprised that it was quite smooth. Maybe this is because I was remembering some bouts with everclear. I don't remember an off taste.

    now you've give me reason to open this Virginia Lightning. Let me go crack it and see what I think.

    nose is basically corn and alcohol. It's 100 proof but it's quite smooth, sweet sugary corn. I would say it tastes like Vodka with a corn flavor. it ends with a somewhat strong alcohol bite.
    "That rug really tied the room together" -- Jeffery Lebowski

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Back to top