Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kentucky Bound

Guru

Kentucky Bound

I have a family wedding to attend the weekend of October 13th in Russell Springs. It looks to be around 80 mins south of Bardstown. I'll be travelling through L'Ville and wanted to stop at Liquor Barn or any other store that has a large supply of bourbons. My time will be very limited so I will only get one shot and stopping and shopping. Specifically, I would like to know the following:

1. What liquor store should I stop at in L'Ville or maybe Toddy's in Bardstown?
    2. What bourbon should I look for that I can't find elsewhere, e.g. KY only releases, etc.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. I know it's probably a long shot, but I hope the BTAC is released in KY at that point. Thanks in advance for the input.
    “Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.” - P.J. O’Rourke
    Greg's "bourbondork" blog

Disciple

Re: Kentucky Bound

Toddy's is a very small store. It has a good selection but not a vast one. I found three stores in Bardstown, the one on the north side(hwy 285?) and Toddy's were the best.
    The items that I picked and liked: Dowling's Deluxe Bib 8yr, Wathens, VROHH 10yr Bib, RittenH Rye Bib(IMO not the best, but great value), Toddy's had a Beam Bib(Happy Hollow or something like that), didnt pick it up though.
    Have a great trip!

Jeff Mo.

Disciple

Greg,
    Any of the Four Roses are basically KY. and NYC bottles only. The Beam BIB is called Bourbon Hollow and is/was available in Va. My parents bought me a bottle at a store near Wytheville while on the way to Myrtle Beach. depending on your route to KY. (if you are driving), there is also a fantastic store just across the river from Cincinnati. Good luck with the bottle hunting!

Thomas

Disciple

BTW, I hit every store between BT, FR and HH....not a dusty in one of the them(4-1-07).

Jeff Mo.

Guru

The Beam BIB is Old Bourbon Hollow. I picked up a bottle here in VA a couple months back but have not opened it.
    “Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.” - P.J. O’Rourke

Bad Girl and Bourbonian Of The Year 2012

I'd recommend the Liquor Barn on Hurstborne or Springhurst in Louisville. Forget driving to Bardstown. I know everybody likes the selection at the small Toddy's store in Bardstown, but you can find everything he has at the bigger stores in Louisville. I'm a bit HONKED off at the price Toddy's tried to get for the FRSB 40th Anniv bottle. You could buy it at Four Roses for $60.....at Liquor Barn for $59.99 and I heard some people got it at other stores in Louisville and Bardstown for $55. Toddy's price was up another $15. Bite me?!?!

Correction....you can't get Doug's 4yr Willet in Louisville.

Dawn

Guru

Thanks Dawn. My plan is to stop at Liquor Barn in L'Ville.

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

Between Liquor Barn and Party Mart in Louisville you should be able to find most anything that is normally sold in KY
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

Guru

Thanks again for the input. Unfortunately, I'll be unemployed mid October and will be on my Birthday budget so I have to choose wisely. My hope is that the '07 BTAC will have been released in KY by then but I'm not holding my breath.

Moderator and Bourbonian Of The Year 2014

Not to high-jack a thread, but I'll be in KY in April for the Sampler (I hope...) - so, I've taken all the advice here on board too