Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Enthusiast

Your most satisfying purchase?

Another post got me to thinking. So I pose the question.
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough". Mark Twain

Disciple

Re: Your most satisfying purchase?

Mine was not just one bottle. Thanks to a really cool SB.com member I hauled in about 6 cases of Dusties. It was by far the best day of hunting that I've ever had. You know who you are.....you 'da man.

Jeff Mo.

Guru

Without a doubt the purchase through another SB.com member that led to my first taste of WT 12. Though my decision last fall to buy several bottles of Thomas Handy (before ever having a taste) runs a close second.

Connoisseur

It's got to be GT Stagg S '05 because that's what turned me into a bourbon convert. When I tried it, I knew "this is it."

Second is probably Willet Rye (#1), which I purchased from an extremely generous sb member.
    • • •
    Mark

I love him whose soul squanders itself, who wants no thanks...for he always gives away and does not want to preserve himself.
    -Nietzsche

Guru

The complete BTAC 2006, including the Handy.
    Emancipate yourself from mental slavery. None but ourselves can free our minds.

Bob Marley.

Connoisseur

I'm happy to say that I've had many. Among them is the 05' GTS (Fall), I had been searching for this for probably about 2 years after reading about it in the Whisky Bible (not specifically the 2005 release, when I found out about it I had no idea it was limited and changed every year, I think the one I read about was the 02' or the 03') and could not believe my eyes when I saw it on the shelf at the store I regularly frequented at the time. I enjoyed Bookers in the past but found this to be far better and it cost a dollar or two less.
    WTRR 101, I found this to be an amazing value because I liked it even more than WT101 (one of my favorites at the time) and it only cost a few dollars more. The taste was significantly better than WT101 and the other WT products I had tried at the time (except maybe Rare Breed), which really surprised me. I was very disappointed when this stopped showing up on the shelf and more disappointed when I found out it had been discontinued.
    Finally (although there are several other purchases I was highly satisfied with) but certainly nowhere near the least satisfying is the SB.com PVW23 Barrel #2. This stuff is simply amazing. I was going to list some of the other bourbons from the Van Winkle line but this one is king of them all as far as I'm concerned!
    /\../\

"I've had eighteen straight whiskies, I think that's the record . . ." - Dylan Thomas

Weller 12, I love this stuff!! Talk about bang for your buck!
    Blantons Gold - WOW!

Scott
    "I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day" - Frank Sinatra

Virtuoso

Four Roses Single Barrel! Picked it up on sale in KY for $24 n - change! I think I picked up 8, now 2 but it was an amazing bottle. I just took one to a party in July and some guys wanted to try it. We poured it down and ice-luge , everyone who had a drink wanted to know where they could pick it up. The home owner compared it to "as smooth as Middleton’s”, I could not dissagree.

Great stuff!
    "So long as the presence of death lurks with anyone who goes through the simple act of swallowing, I will make mine whiskey"

Taster

Pappy Van Winkle 15yo. It disappeared from the shelves last year before I got to try it. I had a couple ORVW 15yo and really wanted its replacement. When it showed up I got 2. As soon as I tasted it I went back and got 6 more. I vowed not to run out.
    Fwisge For All!

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by HighTower View Post
    Weller 12, I love this stuff!! Talk about bang for your buck!
    Blantons Gold - WOW!

Scott
    Scott - you ain't lying. I think you said the Weller 12 was the Binny's honey barrel pick? I have some bottles of that and it really is marveluous stuff. I've had the Blanton's Gold and love it. Currently, I have Blanton's Silver opened and it's also very very good.
    “Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.” - P.J. O’Rourke
    Greg's "bourbondork" blog