Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.

Hybrid View

Christmas Present

Hi Everyone! I am new to this forum and I've joined so I can determine what bourbon to get my boyfriend for his Christmas present.

He is a Wild Turkey 101 lover.

Previously, he has had Wild Turkey Rare Breed and Bookers (2 times) for gifts. I want to get him something special and different this time.

I've thought of getting him George T. Stagg but none of the companies will ship it to me. I live in NJ or can get shipments in PA.

Any thoughts?

ETA: OK now I have rules put on my gift. :-( It can't be over $60. So I am pretty sure that takes George T Stagg out of the running. I have seen it for under $60, but those people are out of stock!

He likes stronger flavors, so I hope you guys can help me.
    Last edited by lilsweetpea; 10-17-2007 at 11:29.

Connoisseur

Re: Christmas Present

The 2007 version of Stagg is just about to hit the shelves in the next couple weeks. You might start calling/checking your local stores and see if they will get it. Stagg should be around $55-$65 range (hopefully).

Other $40+ bourbons
    Wild Turkey Kentucky Spirit (very very good)
    Bakers (from the same people who make Bookers)
    Pappy Van Winkle 15 y.o. (hard to find right now but top notch)
    Rock Hill Farms
    Blanton's

You could also go the route of getting two $20-30 bourbons. There are some awesome ones out there of very high quality. It might be cool to get two and still stay at your $60 cost. The ones I would recommend:

Eagle Rare Single Barrel
    Elmer T Lee Single Barrel
    Old Rip van Winkle 10 year (there is a 90 and 107 proof version)
    W.L Weller Centennial
    Old Weller Antique
    Evan Williams Single Barrel
    "That rug really tied the room together" -- Jeffery Lebowski

Guru

Given the fact that he is a WT lover, I would search for the Kentucky Spirit and be done.
    Emancipate yourself from mental slavery. None but ourselves can free our minds.

Bob Marley.

Guru

You could always wait and see what Kinds of free glassware or other goodies are included with the upcoming holiday packaging. Last year I snagged a bottle of WT 101 with two very nice large tumblers. The store only had two bottles and when I went back to get the other it was gone. I looked all over for another set to no avail.

Guru

Try the website www.shoppersvineyard.com. They are in Jersey and have a great selection of bourbons.
    Joe
    Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

"Bourbon.....It's cheaper than therapy!!"

Disciple

Just my two cents....how about getting him a flight of one brand. I see from the shoppers vineyard that they have Heaven Hill bourbons and Jim Beam bourbons in many proofs and ages. You could get him a 750ml of 4, 6, and 8 year HH or Beam white, black and rye....something along those lines. He could sit and ponder more than one flavor profile.

Jeff Mo.

Advanced Taster

I'd just get him another bottle of Rare Breed. But since it needs to be something different, and he likes strong flavors, I would suggest a bottle of Elijah Craig 18 year old. It's something different alright, and it should fall well within your budget. Keep in mind, there are two age statements of Elijah Craig: 12 yo and 18 yo. Both are superb. But I would get him the 18 yo.
    Kevin

"Why don't you quit cryin' and get me some bourbon?"

Virtuoso

I know my wife always says we can only spend "X" amount at Christmas and I know when she asks I tell her "X-$". I also know the real amount I spend exceeds the normal amount.

I say go for the Stagg or Weller and if you can not find it PM me and I would be happy to send you a bottle.

AC
    "So long as the presence of death lurks with anyone who goes through the simple act of swallowing, I will make mine whiskey"

Well our limit is set because we are going to Walt Disney World Jan 4-12! Yeah! Thank you all for your great ideas. I may visit the Shoppers Vineyard since it is in NJ. It is only 1.5 hours away...

Thanks again!
    Last edited by lilsweetpea; 10-18-2007 at 13:37.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by ACDetroit View Post
    I know my wife always says we can only spend "X" amount at Christmas and I know when she asks I tell her "X-$". I also know the real amount I spend exceeds the normal amount.

I say go for the Stagg or Weller and if you can not find it PM me and I would be happy to send you a bottle.

AC

I'll take two Staggs please.