Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
    Connoisseur

Wild Turkey 12 Year Old

My buddy was kind enough to bring me two WT 12 YOs back from his trip overseas. Last night I did a little taste test versus a split label that I have and found them very similar, I did find the split label a bit better but not too much. I've struggled with the sensitivity of my palette for a long time now and the one thing I've come to realize is that my wife's is much more sensitive than mine. Unfortunately (or fortunately for me!) she does like Bourbon so she only noses them when I ask her to which is usually these situations. She said that the older split label was much sweeter and had a much nicer nose and also noted that the current 12 YO really sits in your nose a lot more but isn't as pleasant. Basically claiming they are fairly different.

This goes back to my original theory that you cannot simply learn or acquire a palette. Some folks have them (obviously some of the folks here that write extended reviews have great palettes) and some folks don't. It doesn't mean that I do not enjoy the whisky, trust me I do, but I cannot identify the nuances that others might. I would think a lot of others have the same issue as me.

Secondly, what do others think of the current WT 12 versus the new? I think the new one is very comparable to the old, maybe not quite as good but very representative none the less.
    Tim

I am going where streams of whiskey are flowing...

Guru

Re: Wild Turkey 12 Year Old

Quote Originally Posted by DrinkyBanjo View Post
    It doesn't mean that I do not enjoy the whisky, trust me I do, but I cannot identify the nuances that others might. I would think a lot of others have the same issue as me.
    Me too, although some days are better than others.
    Joe
    Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

"Bourbon.....It's cheaper than therapy!!"

Guru

This goes back to my original theory that you cannot simply learn or acquire a palette. Some folks have them (obviously some of the folks here that write extended reviews have great palettes) and some folks don't.
    I, too, am apparently "palette-challenged". I must admit that sometimes, when I read some of the more esoteric descriptions given in tasting notes, that I have the suspicion that imagination and linguistic skills may be more relevant than the sensitivity of one's palette.
    John B

"Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons… that is all there is to distinguish us from other animals."

Guru

I consider my self Palettically Incorrect as well, but I nose a good bourbon when I pours one....
    Dane
    I don't drink to excess. But I'll drink to most anything else.

Guru

... She said that the older split label was much sweeter and had a much nicer nose and also noted that the current 12 YO really sits in your nose a lot more but isn't as pleasant. Basically claiming they are fairly different.
    I haven't had any of the export only 12 YO but I will say the domestic split label has a sweet nose and a creamy middle with the least dry finish of any WT I've had to date. Wonderful stuff!

Advanced Taster

While I consider myself a novice in all aspects of nosing and tasting, I can say, without reservation, the domestic WT12 split label is one of my favorites!

~tp

Secondly, what do others think of the current WT 12 versus the new? I think the new one is very comparable to the old, maybe not quite as good but very representative none the less.
    I have long said that there is a noticeable if very slight difference in the gold foil 12 and the later split label 12 and furthermore a pretty large difference in the split and the current export. It is still good, but I've reached a point where I'd rather put money elsewhere than add more export 12 year to my bunker.
    C

"everybody defamates from miles away
    but face to face
    they haven't got a thing to say"