Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Moderator and Bourbonian Of The Year 2014

Re: Pappy Van Winkle 20 yr old Fam Reserve

The Hirsch 16yr gold foil is still available......stock up! (Duh!)
    Some ex-pat Aussie living in the US bought up all the remaining Hirsch (red wax I think) in Australia from the single outlet that was selling it (about a case worth).... I was planning on getting a couple of bottles before it all went

....and, in some great news, the single outlet store that sells Pappy 20 has dropped the price from $400 AU to $300 AU a bottle ($270 US)
    They still have Lot B at $135 a bottle, but I have two of those already in my stash.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by Solomon2 View Post
    How does the 20 compare to the 12yo Lot B?
    I couldn't answer that because I've never tried the Pappy 20. But IMO the Pappy 15 is a lot better than the Lot B, and it only costs a few dollars more.

Quote Originally Posted by camduncan View Post
    Some ex-pat Aussie living in the US bought up all the remaining Hirsch (red wax I think) in Australia from the single outlet that was selling it (about a case worth).... I was planning on getting a couple of bottles before it all went
    Cam, they were only the lowly gold-foil bottles

You still want one?

Scott
    "I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day" - Frank Sinatra

Bad Girl and Bourbonian Of The Year 2012

Quote Originally Posted by HighTower View Post
    Cam, they were only the lowly gold-foil bottles

You still want one?

Scott
    You should have know that Scott bought them!! LOL!!

I certainly didn't buy the case, Dawn!
    I got some from there earlier before it went. As I have mentioned in previous posts, this bourbon does nothing for me at all.

Scott
    "I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day" - Frank Sinatra

I look like I may have found one last bottle thanks to Scott. I've tasted his open bottle, as well as an open bottle at a local "New York" style cocktail bar. Both times it was probably drink #9 or 10 on a fairly big drinking and tasting night, so my memory of its taste isn't that great. I need to sit down and try some on its own, prior to having any other drinks...in other words, a proper taste.
    I do have some hesitation, because I know Scott doesn't like his bottle, and, apart from his love of Wild Turkey, we both have similar likes in bourbon.

Now back to the Pappy 20yo......
    I was lucky enough to try this on the same night I tried the Hirsch...
    Same problem applies. I think just prior to trying the Pappy, Scott had served up Canadian Club 18yo and Vanilla Coke to accompany a bbq dinner...so my palate had gone to sleep. The Pappy nearly blew my taste buds away after the sweet CC drink.
    Re-visiting the Pappy is a priority of mine as I've liked all of the 10yo, 12yo Lot B, 13yo Rye and 15yo bottles that I've tried.

Guru

Another (perhaps) minority opinion, I believe the 15 yo is better than the 20 yo.
    John B

"Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons… that is all there is to distinguish us from other animals."

Advanced Taster

I may be in the minority as well, but I believe the PVW15 is better than the PVW20.

Bourbonian of the Year 2009 and Virtuoso

These really aren't contrary opinions at all. Many of us here, including myselfenjoy their bourbons at lower ages and/or proofs. Pappy 15 is better to my taste than Pappy 20 on most nights. EC 18 is too woody to me.....I prefer HH's younger products. The only "extra aged" bourbons I have enjoyed recently are the SB.com SB's of Pappy 23.......not as woody as the regular 23yo bottling, to my taste. Most nights, I would buy two Pappy 15's in lieu of a Pappy 20. But both are in the bar.

Randy