Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: Pappy Van Winkle 20 yr old Fam Reserve

I have an old unopened bottle of bourbon and on the label all it says is very rare collectors item aged 20 years genuine old style sour mash bottled in KY by dowling distillers i cant find out anything about this bottle or the distillery i have searched everywhere im trying to figure out if i want to taste it, sell it or hold on to it

Bourbonian of the Year 2009 and Virtuoso

Those old "Collector's Item"....."Dowling's Deluxe"...etc with the netting around the bottle are fairly common on ebay and can occasionally be found on the shelf. The whiskey came from various distilleries and was bottled at Julian's former "Commonwealth" facility. I have a 16yo and a 20yo in my collection. Most are BIB's, so they state the DSP number where distilled and bottled. It may be decent whiskey.....I haven't opened any of mine. Tasted one a while back and was OK. Use the "Search" function and enter "collectible"....Or Dowling and you can find other info.

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by tnfootball419 View Post
    I have an old unopened bottle of bourbon and on the label all it says is very rare collectors item aged 20 years genuine old style sour mash bottled in KY by dowling distillers i cant find out anything about this bottle or the distillery i have searched everywhere im trying to figure out if i want to taste it, sell it or hold on to it
    You've posted this in THREE seperate fora (some of which have been deleted by moderators, I understand). Fair or not, that kinda marks you as a 'marketer'. This isn't really a trading forum -- most of the members here generally enjoy DRINKING whiskey.
    That's not to say you won't get messages requesting info or offering trades/buys. But it pisses the long-time 'cadre' here royally when someone drops in, doesn't search, ignores the "New to StraightBourbon" threads, and starts wondering about 'value'.
    Or, maybe, I'm just my recently-usual cranky self.
    Last edited by TNbourbon; 10-26-2007 at 20:36.
    Tim

Guru

Tim,

I'm on Zoloft, and he pissed me off, too.

Reminds me of visiting with a neighbor on the front porch and having someone who just moved into the neighborhood join us and turn the conversation to selling Amway.

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield
    Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

Dog Lover, Euphonium Player, Campfire Guitarist, Marksman,

Guru

Someone who is only interested in how much they can get for a bottle of sought after whiskey is worse than someone who is only interested in how much absolute alcohol they can get for x amount of dollars. At least the 40 year old adolescent who views a bottle of booze as little more to a means to an end is genuinely interested in what's in the bottle.
    Last edited by ILLfarmboy; 10-27-2007 at 06:57.