Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Guru

Re: Michters - again

"The NAS Michter's rye probably is Heaven Hill/Rittenshouse, which actually is made by Brown-Forman."

Hmm....I guess that jibes with my tasting impression....interesting how finding the actual source of a particular whiskey can be so complex.

Moderator and Bourbonian Of The Year 2014

I might be able to get my hands on a Michter's Small Batch Bourbon 47.5%
    Is this the same stuff mentioned here?
    Has anyone tried the recent bottlings?

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Anything that's current production is from the non-distiller producer that is using the Michter's name. They have a range of products, including bourbon and rye. The original distiller for most products from non-distiller producers usually is either Barton or Heaven Hill. The others sell bulk whiskey only very rarely.

Connoisseur

We just got a bottle of Michters, I believe from 88.

Does anyone know how many years this spent between distilling and bottling?

Very nice, kinda like rum. Smooth! Absolutely no burn. Notes of tea, toffee or maybe maple.

画像-0001.jpg

Connoisseur

i've never had the 'old' aboriginal Michter's...but the blue label, unblended whiskey (not a bourbon, i think), was really excellent. had it two years ago...was worth every penny of the $28 spent....it costs more now, but for a lower proof (and now that i know that i prefer much higher proof), this one still brings good memories. will have to revisit it. liked it much better than the Michter's bourbon (parchment colored label).
    HUP!

Just received word that Michters has released two very limited specialty bottles: a Rye (117.3 Proof) and a Bourbon (108.6 Proof). Both bottles are 25 years old (view attachment). The Bourbon is approximately $325, while the Rye is going for $350. The email said California only has 20 bottles total. I wonder where else distribution will be and how much overall is available?

Has anyone else heard of this? Or perhaps has a bit more information than what I have?

Michters_25yr-1.pdf

I'd bet the bourbon is one of those very old Barrels of S-W we heard about, like the one that was recently bottled as Willett barrel proof. And I am sure the Rye is probably kin to all the other old ryes that we've been enjoying...

I would expect there isn't much of it, maybe a couple barrels of each was bottled, and I'd speculate there'd be a more in and around Kentucky than out west.

That's a lot of money for a bottle of whiskey!
    C

"everybody defamates from miles away
    but face to face
    they haven't got a thing to say"

I agree Christian, that is a lot of money for a bottle of whiskey!

I love the Willett, and if these bottlings are indicative of such quality, it certainly is tempting. But based on the unknown quantity, if I can get 2-3 Willetts for the price of one Michters, I'll stick with the Willett.

Quote Originally Posted by chouffe62 View Post
    Just received word that Michters has released two very limited specialty bottles: a Rye (117.3 Proof) and a Bourbon (108.6 Proof). Both bottles are 25 years old (view attachment). The Bourbon is approximately $325, while the Rye is going for $350. The email said California only has 20 bottles total. I wonder where else distribution will be and how much overall is available?

Has anyone else heard of this? Or perhaps has a bit more information than what I have?

Michters_25yr-1.pdf
    Apparently Michters hasn't heard that that we're in a recession and no body is going to buy their whiskey at that price if they are i have a bridge to sell them along with their new bottle of of bourbon.
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider, is chaos for the fly.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Let the record show that Michter's was not "America’s first whiskey distilling company," that the Michter's name was a post-Prohibition renaming of the old Bomberger Distillery, which also was not "America’s first whiskey distilling company," but may at the time of its closing have been the oldest distillery in America. Even that's a stretch. Also, the company now using the Michter's name has no connection to the Bomberger/ Michter's distillery near Schaefferstown, PA, and none of the whiskey they sell was made at that distillery. That whiskey made at the site that became Bomberger/Michter's "warmed General Washington’s troops at Valley Forge" is, at best, a legend.

Chances are good that if you have had any of the very old bourbons or ryes bottled by Kentucky Bourbon Distillers Ltd., you have had this whiskey.