Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Connoisseur

Re: Michters - again

Damn, Chuck! Next you'll be telling me there is no Santa and pro wrestling is fake!!

Oh, man, I need a drink.

-Mike
    "This is the real article. It is double-rectified busthead from Madison County, aged in the keg. A little spoonful would do you a power of good."

-True Grit by Charles Portis

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

It's a dirty job but somebody has to do it.

If you have access to the KBD "vintage" series, this probably is from the same stock. I don't know that for a fact, but it seems like a pretty good assumption.

According to the Kentucky Secretary of State, both KBD and Brown-Forman are producing for Michter's, i.e., Chatham Imports, but I don't see much 20+ year-old whiskey coming out of Brown-Forman.
    Last edited by cowdery; 02-26-2009 at 18:31.

Guru

Yesterday while shopping in DC I found a large jug of Michters from c.1980. I shook the jug and sure enough, it had juice in it and seemed relatively full. $99.....left it on the shelf.
    “Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.” - P.J. O’Rourke
    Greg's "bourbondork" blog

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

While bourbon in a glass bottle with a screw cap will keep almost forever, everything else is dicey, especially ceramics. Although those containers were approved for spirits, no one really knows the consequences of keeping whiskey in them for 25+ years, because no one dreamed that anyone would.

Enthusiast

I have two more bottles of old Michter's here that's some of the best bourbon in my bunker. I haven't had the newer stuff... and considering the price-point? I don't think anytime soon. BB

Apprentice

My stash of pot still decanters seem to be holding up well for the most part.
    Not sure what makes the difference between good and bad decanters - maybe storage conditions? Biggest problem with them is they are indeed pigs in a poke - can't tell till you crack one open and decant some- but so far I have had good luck with the stock I picked up from a member of their bottle club.
    Also have a lot of pictures of the place recently:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/spirits...7604984602396/
    short form - needs work, soon or it won't be there much longer I'm afraid.
    The Pleasures of Exile are Imperfect at Best, At Worst They Rot the Liver

Connoisseur

I live about 20 minutes from Schaefferstown so finding Michter's items here is easy, but I'm not about to cough up my sources just yet. I currently have about a gallon of original Michter's- some in decanters, others in glass bottles or in jars. I haven't drank any yet, but I plan on sampling a little bit soon.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by ethangsmith View Post
    I live about 20 minutes from Schaefferstown so finding Michter's items here is easy, but I'm not about to cough up my sources just yet.
    Ahh...but we have ways of making you talk. (Insert sinister laugh here.)
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Connoisseur

Haha. Well, the long and short of it is my neighbor is an antiques dealer with many connections and either goes and gets stuff for us or gives us a heads up when there is stuff at sales. Wedensday my wife was at an auction and got 4 full Michter's decanters and 2 empty Michter's decanters, along with some Jim Beam decanters- all for about $50. There are also a few local antiques shops around here with extensive Michter's collections for sale.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by ethangsmith View Post
    Haha. Well, the long and short of it is my neighbor is an antiques dealer with many connections and either goes and gets stuff for us or gives us a heads up when there is stuff at sales. Wedensday my wife was at an auction and got 4 full Michter's decanters and 2 empty Michter's decanters, along with some Jim Beam decanters- all for about $50. There are also a few local antiques shops around here with extensive Michter's collections for sale.
    That's an awesome set-up. I should mention to those who look down their noses at non-small batch Beam products, I picked up several sealed Beam decanter bottles at an estate sale last summer and the juice was absolutely excellent. They were all bottles from around 1979-1980, all were labelled as either eight or ten years old and 80 proof. (I believe one was 86 proof, as I recall.) Like a dope, I too was reluctant to plunk down much on 80 proof Beam juice at the time and chose only to buy three or four bottles. Had I known earlier what I discovered later that evening when sampling them, I would have bought them all.
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet