Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Advanced Taster

Geroge Stagg, barrel proof...

My friend just bought a bottle of George Stagg,incut 144 proof bourbon..Havent tasted it yet..Has anyone had it..They were putting it out on the shelves friday at Liquor Barn and he got one..What kind of taste should I expect? Is this smooth or so strong you cant enjoy it? Thanks...

Guru

Re: Geroge Stagg, barrel proof...

At 144 proof it'll certainly test your mettle.
    Joe
    Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

"Bourbon.....It's cheaper than therapy!!"

Enthusiast

All I can say is that it is "BIG". I was drinking the '06 on Saturday...it's good, but may need to be cut with a wee bit o water.
    The avatar is me as a little tyke.

Advanced Taster

I will be very careful...lol...sounds like good advice..

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

You can use the search function to find out a lot about the George T. Stagg bourbon. Most people here consider it an outstanding bourbon.

As for the proof, just because something is bottled at a high proof doesn't mean you are expected to drink it that way. It's more a way of giving the consumer the product exactly as it came from the barrel--all whiskey, no added water. The idea is for you to dilute it to your taste.

A good way to drink something like this is to pour a little into a glass, smell it carefully, then take a very small sip. Essentially, let your saliva dilute it. Get a little sense of it that way, then add a little room-temperature water. Sip again. If it still seems too strong, add a little more water.

Drinking Stagg is more like climbing a mountain than like taking a walk in the park. Both can be satisfying but there is more of a challenge involved in something like Stagg, not just because of its proof but also due to its advanced age, which gives it a very powerful woodiness.

As with mountain climbing, proceed with caution and you should be fine.

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Dilution really does help overcome excess woodiness, too.

I found this with Weller Antique 107 I had last night and also Four Roses Barrel Strength. Sometimes you need to add only a little water to bring such whiskeys into perfect balance.

The water dilutes the wood's effect, it makes it less tanic and acid (often).

Gary

Virtuoso

I'm all for a little water in the Stagg, but you guys are killing me already!!!

Has anyone sampled the HazMat IV or the deuce double "o" seven! I get my first bottle tomorrow, and I'm dieing to know??

Anyone? Bueller?...Bueller? Has anyone seen Bueller?

Tony
    "So long as the presence of death lurks with anyone who goes through the simple act of swallowing, I will make mine whiskey"

Enthusiast

I"m hoping it hits the shelves here this week. Nothing confirmed by any sources yet! If it does, then I may be making lunchtime runs to different stores!
    The avatar is me as a little tyke.

Connoisseur

Red face Re: Geroge Stagg, barrel proof...

i admit, i got some nice tones last night...but they were quickly sent scurrying like the chipmunks in my backyard once my taste buds melted...

i did let the saliva do it's thing, but even after a touch of water, i was blunted for the evening!

not that it burned or anything. but i got a sense of fogginess on my tongue sides/edges....

will not drink it barefoot in the leaves tonight!

boots. and a touch of water...
    HUP!

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by polyamnesia View Post
    not that it burned or anything. but i got a sense of fogginess on my tongue sides/edges....
    If I drink GTS straight I can feel the texture of the inside of my mouth (cheeks, tongue, lips) change when I take the first sip. It's hard to describe but it's a rubbery and dry feeling. Sometimes it makes my tongue white and crinkly too. Although this doesn't really bother me I've been diluting for this reason since I have no idea what it's doing elsewhere in my body.
    /\../\

"I've had eighteen straight whiskies, I think that's the record . . ." - Dylan Thomas