Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Guru

Re: Black Maple Hill...

Quote Originally Posted by luv2hunt View Post
    Lawrenceburg BMH 14 is like a Pappy 15.
    Now I have a couple of more questions.
    Were the original Black Maple Hill's wheaters?
    Are the Bardstown bottles wheaters?
    And what was the time frame on the Lawrenceburg releases?
    ovh

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by OscarV View Post
    Now I have a couple of more questions.
    Were the original Black Maple Hill's wheaters?
    Are the Bardstown bottles wheaters?
    And what was the time frame on the Lawrenceburg releases?
    I don't believe they are wheaters, either when done by Commonwealth or by KBD.

Commonwealth stopped doing private bottlings when BT took over bottling ops for Julian in 2002. I would guess BMH started as a brand circa 2000, but may be wrong on that.
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

Bad Girl and Bourbonian Of The Year 2012

OK, so it's been a really long time since I tried the BMH....but I knew the bottle we had was a Julian bottle. So tonight I poured a Pappy 15, Lawrenceburg BMH 14 and a WT Tribute. It tastes more like the Pappy Tribute!

OK, I'm done for the night! Tasted Tim's three samples and now this! Quite honestly....they're all starting to taste the same!! Good Grief!
    Last edited by luv2hunt; 10-30-2007 at 17:27. Reason: I made it a wheated rye! I can't tell!

Bad Girl and Bourbonian Of The Year 2012

Quote Originally Posted by wadewood View Post

While doing a google search on Black maple hill, I came across a post from Julian on wine lovers page with some history:

"I was crusing your site to see if you ever had ever writen anything about Van Winkle whiskey and noticed the questions about Black Maple Hill.
    I indeed bottled this whiskey over the last few years for a distributor in Califonia. He sold it to several markets around the country, but not here in louisville. It was my Van Winkle whiskey under abother label. The ages bottled were 14, 16, 18 & even some 20-year. There was alos a rye whiskey which was mine. All the Van Winkle whiskey would have been in bottled dislaying the "Bottled in Lawrenceburg,KY" address. Since I now do all my bottling at Buffalo Trace in Frankfort, the Califonia distributor is now buying his whiskey and having the bottling done in Bardstown at KY Bourbon Distillers. The whiskey is quite differnt now. I am short of Van Winkle whiskey so I cold not acconodate the Black Maple Hill label anymore.
    I hope this answers a few questions.
    Julian"
    Found this in the sb.com archives.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

To parse a little, by "Van Winkle whiskey," he means Stitzel-Weller whiskey, i.e., wheated bourbon.

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

Van Winkle Whiskey? While that is one way to describe it, I guess, it doesn't really say whether it's a wheat or rye based bourbon-he did use and own both types.

I also find it interesting that they were all even ages (well, except the rye was a 15yo) and now are odd ages (again except the rye is 18yo-though that may have changed since the last time I looked)
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by tango-papa View Post
    So, if one were to come across a BMH age statement bottling, especially a 14 year, it would be worth purchasing?

~tp
    I guess it would depend on the price.
    I saw a BMH 14 just a few days ago, but at that price I could buy two Pappy 15's and have change left over.

Enthusiast

Send Julian a PM or E-Mail and he will tell you. His BMH's were S-W whiskey. He never used any of the Boone ryed bourbon or any other in the BMH's.
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by wildcatdon View Post
    Have just seen this in my local store..Is it good? Who makes it? Was in a hurry and did not get a chance to read the lable..Have never heard of it before...thanks..Don
    I bought the 11 year in order to try it and liked it. The next bottle on the shelf at my local was about a yard in price so I didnt jump on it. Yet. . .