Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Help me find a drink in StL

OK, I hate to create a new thread, but a quick search turned up nothing. I am in St. Louis for the week and then back late next week for another 10+ days. My office is right downtown intersection of Broadway/Washington. Anyway is there a good place to get a drink, and maybe food too, good liquor stores, that any of you know? Dane?

Never realized before I close StL is to Kentucky.... I am having thoughts....
    C

"everybody defamates from miles away
    but face to face
    they haven't got a thing to say"

Guru

Re: Help me find a drink in StL

Mapquest says three hours to Paducah and four hours to Louisville.

Having grown up in southern Illinois when nearly all roads were two lanes and went down main street of every one-horse town along the way, I forget what changes the Interstate Highway System has brought. I lived in Flora, IL, and it was two+ hours to St. Louis.

Here's hoping Dane checks in. Have you sent him a PM? If he's set to receive email notification, you might hear from him a little sooner.

Edit: I just did an Advanced Search for keyword: louis and user: gr8erdane. He has posted many times about places he has taken visitors.

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield
    Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

Dog Lover, Euphonium Player, Campfire Guitarist, Marksman,

Yeah I PM'd him. I must not be good with search I tried that and didn't turn up much, but I'll try again when I finish "working" for the day...
    C

but face to face

Connoisseur

VOL, are you on other message boards as well?

Quote Originally Posted by NickAtMartinis View Post
    VOL, are you on other message boards as well?
    Uh, no, well I did sign up for Slipknot's but don't think I've ever posted. Honestly, I barely have time keep up with this one (and really I don't) much less anything else. Bottom line though I have met some great people on here that I now consider friends so I will always have a little bit of time for this!

And oh yeah, I am not leaving this city for my second trip (next week) without see the A-B facility...
    C

but face to face

Virtuoso

If you get a chance to go to Derdorph and Heart's (spelling) they not only have a great selection but serve really good food!

Tony
    "So long as the presence of death lurks with anyone who goes through the simple act of swallowing, I will make mine whiskey"

Guru

Believe it or not, Google helped out with the spelling.

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield
    Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

Dog Lover, Euphonium Player, Campfire Guitarist, Marksman,

Virtuoso

It's not bourbon or a fancy restaurant, but I second the Ted Drewes recommendation. It will probably be too cold for the full affect, assuming they are still open, but it's still worth a stop.

There's nothing like a summer evening at dusk, the Ted Drewes parking lot full of people standing around eating frozen custard.

Well, I think this has been discussed before but I found a bottle of David Nicholson 1843 today. It says Bottled in Bond distilled by Old Fitzgerald Distillery DSP-KY-16 bottled by ... DSP-MO-16. All that sounds good, but the 06 imprinted on the bottom of the bottle makes me wonder what SW whiskey was doing around still being bottled in 2006? And it looks awful light in color. Also, I am recalling something about this latest iteration not being very good? And if it bottled by Nicholson Distillery Co., it obviously wouldn't be Julian picking this out so....

Anyway I think I'll crack it open here directly and give it a taste, shoot I have three nights till I fly home! And since it'll probably find it's way onto an expense report what the hell.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    C

but face to face

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Christian, this bottling (or one quite like it) was discussed before on the board and my conclusion from reading those posts was, well, it seems unusual that this could be S-W whiskey since so much time has passed yet the DSP-16 number is on the label, so it must be. Possibly it was a slow-maturing batch, or maybe stored for some reason in very lightly charred barrels. I believe I had this at a party in Louisville last year (Kentucky Bourbon Society) and quite liked it, it struck me as a lighter version of the regular S-W bourbon.

According to Jackson's 1987 World Guide To Whisky, David Nicholson was produced for the Van Winkle family in a private label arrangement. Jackson states that the family of whiskeys associated with S-W (OF, the Weller brands, Cabin Still and David Nicholson) all had similar characteristics. He said (this again at the time) that David Nicholson came in different versions, e.g. one was 90 proof and 7 years old, one was 107 proof and 10 years old.

Altough all issued from the same distillate, I would think though that each had a somewhat different profile.

Gary
    Last edited by Gillman; 10-31-2007 at 20:11.