Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Connoisseur

Bulleit Frontier bourbon

This bourbon has just arrived in Ontario, and I'm wondering how it compares to the other premium brands available here, namely Knob Creek, Woodford, and Maker's Mark? It is $10 cheaper than these brands around here...

Guru

Re: Bulleit Frontier bourbon

I like (but I may be in the minority here). Heavy rye notes.
    John B

"Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons… that is all there is to distinguish us from other animals."

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

I just recommended it on your other thread before even seeing this one.

It is a bourbon that (I find) does vary. Some bottles are very soft and spicy with great balance. Others are kind of woody and monochrome.

The one I bought at LCBO lately was middling, but again, every bottle is liable to be somewhat different and I'd try it.

Look for the signature "cinnamon red hots" nose and taste.

Gary

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

If Bulleit is priced that much below Woodford, Knob and Maker's, snap it up, that's a great deal for a very good whiskey. Around here those four would be pretty close in price, with Maker's probably the cheapest since it's usually on deal somewhere. They're all in the same market segment, shooting for essentially the same consumers.

I like Bulleit a lot but it is not for everyone, as its mash bill is about 1/3 rye, the highest among all bourbons, even more than Old Grand-Dad. But since it's made by Four Roses, it is very well balanced. It's also not a "me too" taste. There's nothing else quite like it, so if you like variety, you'll get some with Bulleit in your portfolio.

I agree with Gary about cinnamon red hots. If that's not your taste in candy, you probably won't like it in a bourbon either.

One industry insider told me recently that he doesn't think Bulleit is "making it," as in not meeting the targets Diageo has set for it, so buy more so we can keep this excelllent product on the market.

Connoisseur

Thanks for the replies. I wonder if the $35 price tag is an introductory sale price or what. In Ontario, Maker's is $44, Woodford is $45 and Knob Creek is $46 (though I got my bottle at $4 off). If Bulleit is a true premium brand, I'll have to pick some up...

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

I picked up a bottle of this a month or so ago. I keep it in the beer fridge, and am finding it to be very enjoyable. The coolness from the fridge is a nice counterbalance to the rye spiciness. I don't know if this method is the reason why, but I like this bottle much better than the one I had a few years ago.

Cheers!

JOE

Novice

I like it. It is probably my second favorite bourbon that I have poured in the last 12 months, (Behind Knob Creek)...The spiciness works for me and of the three bottles I have poured from I haven't noticed that much of a difference between them. A good bourbon at the price point.
    "Everyone needs to know, that at times, beyond all doubt, they can be brave - and they can be strong"

Guru

Thumbs down Re: Bulleit Frontier bourbon

I had one bottle. It was pretty much the worst "good" bourbon I have ever tasted. Way too sweet and one-dimensional. It was so bad I doubt I would take a bottle if someone offered to give it to me.

Tim
    Self-Styled Whisky Connoisseur

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Shows how taste (and sometimes the bottles) can vary. I am sipping some now with a dash of soft water added.

I find it sweetish (but not sweet), with a good spice underpinning (cinammon red hots), with some firmness from the rye and a wood backing.

It is not of course a 9-12 year old whiskey, so its complexity is relative but I like it a lot only again, for me each bottle is somewhat different..

Gary

Apprentice

I shared a bottle with girlfriend and I found it to be good to very good with unique tasting notes. It does have a good Rye taste to it but it is a tad too sweet. I do prefer it over Knob and Makers for sure.