Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Connoisseur

Re: Bulleit Frontier bourbon

just bought a bottle tonight...and tried it neat and with a micro splash (i.e., mega drop) of water.

not catching the sweetness.
    the spiciness...and yes, that "cinnamon/red hots" sense is there...nice for being a bantam weight 90 proof!

ratcheer, you may have really gotten a bad bottle!

this isn't overly complex, but it's a "frontier" whiskey...i would say, for the 1800s, it would be high end!

the water did open it up, slightly sweeten it...but nothing like Ridgemont Reserve with water...THAT's sweet. nearly the same proof, i believe.
    HUP!

Taster

As someone else already stated, my personal experience has found Bulleit to vary, although I've yet to taste any that I'd call "too sweet".

One bottle I didn't care for displayed quite a lot of youth, but my taste seems to gravitate more towards mid to well matured American whiskey (generalization for sure).

But after the disappointing bottle, I've had samples from a couple of other bottles that have been quite different with a bit more refinement and a lot of the sharpness filed down.

Enthusiast

I like Bulleit. Sweet and mellow, IMO. I agree that it shoud be supported by making purchases. Maybe not many people are aware of it, yet. It's unique bottle design is also a plus.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by mrt View Post
    I like Bulleit. Sweet and mellow, IMO. I agree that it shoud be supported by making purchases. Maybe not many people are aware of it, yet. It's unique bottle design is also a plus.
    I loved the bottle.

Tim
    Self-Styled Whisky Connoisseur

Connoisseur

Okay, Chuck, you've sold me. I've had a few minis here and there of this, and I liked them, but my $20 always seems to go for something else. Tomorrow, Bulleit it is. I love high-rye bourbons, and I am all for keeping as much variety in the market as possible.

Apprentice

I found Bulleit a bit on the rough side, although I do have a preference for high wheat mash bills. Dont recall too much else other than I have not goten a bottle since. It has been a few years, maybe I should give it another try ?
    Do you have a drinking problem ???....................Its not a problem

Taster

I love the packaging, but didn't care for the whiskey. I like rye-heavy bourbons too, so that wasn't it. Great for mixing though. The bottle and label are just too cool!

Guru

Tried Bulleit again last night at the Philly Whiskeyfest. It's the same perception as last time. I'm not crazy about this whiskey.
    Joe
    Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

"Bourbon.....It's cheaper than therapy!!"

Enthusiast

My favorite Bulleit cocktail:

1 DVD boxed-set of HBO's Deadwood.
    1 pair old denim jeans, worn near campfire.
    1 glass
    1 bottle Bulleit bourbon

Put on jeans. Play DVD. Drink whiskey. Repeat.
    Jeremy
    www.awksome.com

“We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful what we pretend to be.”
    --Kurt Vonnegut

Advanced Taster

I had read a lot of tasting notes on the web commenting that this boubon was somewhat harsh but that its high rye content made it well suited for Manhattans. Therefore, I bought it and used it as such a few times. After trying it neat twice I have to say I sort of regret "wasting" on mixed drinks given that I have some other low cost bourbons and ryes that fit that bill. I've rather enjoyed it neat and find it far from harsh. Not tremendously complex by any means but solid IMHO.