Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Advanced Taster

Re: Bulleit Frontier bourbon

I also found it rather rough, and I like rye bourbons. Not to my liking with better and cheaper brands out there.

Connoisseur

How does it compare to Knob Creek and Woodford Reserve? Which is it more similar to? These are the only other premium brands available in my part of the world...

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Not very similar to either, really. All are good, each is different.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. François View Post
    My favorite Bulleit cocktail:

1 DVD boxed-set of HBO's Deadwood.
    1 pair old denim jeans, worn near campfire.
    1 glass
    1 bottle Bulleit bourbon

Put on jeans. Play DVD. Drink whiskey. Repeat.
    Bulleit actually makes an ahistorical cameo in Deadwood, as you may know. In the third season, when they have the theatrical show, they show people passing around Bulleit (which, of course, wouldn't have been available for another 120 years or so, but hey, it's TV).

Connoisseur

Finally got around to picking up a bottle of this whiskey, and I'm working on my first drink right now. Kind of spicy like Knob Creek, but with a creamy sweetness that I couldn't quite place, but I can now identify as rye. Very nice stuff! A splash of water accentuates the creaminess of it. Definitely not as deep or complex as Knob Creek, and easier on the palette than Woodford Reserve, but for the price I don't mind it at all.

Guru

If you are drinking it, I recommend you stick with it. When I first got it, I had just had some Weller... it made the Bulleit seem very poor....

If I start with it and stay with it for the evening.... not bad, but here in AZ, I am better off with the Knob at the same price... though I lean towards the wheatier bourbons...

Novice

I have not had it yet, one reason is that it is essentially from what I read, four roses. I tried four roses in 2001 on a rip to Bardstown,the yellow label, and found it hard to drink. It was too cloying and I too like high rye mashbill bourbons as well as rye. I also find it very expensive for me as my usual pour is Ten High, A very good bourbon for the price.

I find I almost always mix Bulliet. It's pretty good with ginger ale.
    There's a reason Four Roses doesn't bottle it under its own name, I think.
    (If you wonder why I buy any, well -- I bought two 12-mini trays @ 99 cents per bottle, minus my 15% employee discount, last fall when it was on special at the store in which I work. I may not like the stuff much, but I'm NOT STUPID ... Still, even at c. $13 per 750ml @ 90 proof, I might be better off with basic Ezra Brooks ...)
    Last edited by TNbourbon; 01-21-2008 at 15:11.
    Tim

Novice

Some people must like it, if I am not mistaken four roses does bottle under it's own name, but it may be a reason as to why most of it goes to japan.

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

This is one of the few areas where I and my esteemed colleague Tim disagree: I think it is superb - when at its best.

Sometimes its taste seems dominated by a kind of dull wood - then it is just ordinary. At other times, the wood informs while allowing a spicy cinnamon "red hots" note its full say. Then it is a fine, rather individualist example of a rye-recipe bourbon, IMO.

Gary