Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Re: Bulleit Frontier bourbon

Quote Originally Posted by nydistiller View Post
    Some people must like it, if I am not mistaken four roses does bottle under it's own name, but it may be a reason as to why most of it goes to japan.
    Four Roses has 10 different mash bills -- 2 yeasts times 5 grain bills. The Four Roses that makes up the single-barrel, the small batch, and the standard 'yellow label', all are different combinations (or not, in the case of the single-barrel) of whiskeys. So, too, is Bulliet. I like the ones labeled as "Four Roses". I don't care for the configuration called "Bulliet".
    Re Gary: it's certainly possible -- because my experience with Bulliet is not very positive and, thus, limited -- that I haven't found anything but that which you call "just ordinary". Of course, palates differ, too, and I allow for the fact that we just like different things occasionally, in spite of the fact we also often like the same things.
    Last edited by TNbourbon; 01-21-2008 at 16:02.
    Tim

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Tim, if I come across a particularly good sample, I'll save it for you to taste at Sampler next. Ontario has Bulleit in stock currently, so maybe I'll find a particularly good one soon.

I will try to give you something as good (in its way) as the sample of barrel strength, 21 year old Van Winkle bourbon you kindly provided to me at the party. It was absolutely superb: Doug got a taste too, and agreed. I marvelled at the charcoal specks floating in the bourbon, I've had unfiltered bourbons before but do not recall ever seeing such palpable evidence of it!

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Gillman View Post
    ...I will try to give you something as good (in its way) as the sample of barrel strength, 21 year old Van Winkle bourbon you kindly provided to me at the party. It was absolutely superb: Doug got a taste too, and agreed. I marvelled at the charcoal specks floating in the bourbon, I've had unfiltered bourbons before but do not recall ever seeing such palpable evidence of it!

Gary
    Good to know, Gary (and Doug) -- I consider that barrel sample as good a bourbon as I've consumed, including similar samples from Warehouse Z (Ridgemont Reserve) and the uncut Rittenhouse single-barrel rye. I applaud Julian's dedication to Pappy's "...But always fine bourbon" credo.
    Tim

Connoisseur

Bulleit is one of just five better-than-average bourbons available in my area, the others being Knob Creek, Woodford Reserve, Maker's Mark and Blanton's Special Reserve, all of which are at least $10 more than Bulleit. Having never had the opportunity to try the likes of Elijah Craig, Buffalo Trace, George T. Stagg, etc., maybe I simply have no concept of what the rest of you folks call "good bourbon". I guess that's why I'm more of a Scotch drinker now.

Apprentice

Ok, complete newbie question here...is "Bulleit" pronouced the same as "bullet"?

Thanks for your patience,

Tim

Guru

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Taggerung View Post
    Ok, complete newbie question here...is "Bulleit" pronouced the same as "bullet"?

Thanks for your patience,

Tim
    Yes. That's part of the appeal, I think.

Connoisseur

conjures up the Wild West
    "A man can take a little bourbon without getting drunk, but if you hold his mouth open and pour in a quart, he's going to get sick on it."
    LBJ