Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Fall Scotches

Connoisseur

Fall Scotches

Now that the weather's getting colder, I'm making my annual transition into more Scotch drinking. I have bottles of HP 12, Lagavulin, Ardbeg Uigaedail, Laphroig, and Talisker.

Any suggestions for some fall sipping?
    Tim

To alcohol! The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems.

Aberlour A'Bunadh -- cask strength, and looks like bourbon!
    Tim

Connoisseur
    If you ask me anything from Islay, hopefully cask strength!
    Tim

I am going where streams of whiskey are flowing...

Virtuoso
    Any of the above would be good choices (including the A'Bunadh), IMO.
    Oh no! You have walked into the slavering fangs of a lurking grue!

Connoisseur
    I'm a big fan of Islays, absolutely love them, and I have quite a few of them, actually the majority of my collection is Islays, but I'm looking for something new this year. I think I may have to look into the Aberlour.

Great Suggestions, Keep 'em Coming!
    Tim

To alcohol! The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems.

Virtuoso

Re: Fall Scotches

Lately, I've been pouring from "forgotten" bottles that I've opened in the last year and haven't revisited. Tonight, I brought out my nearly-full Aberlour A'Bunadh Batch #15 (59.6% ABV), and wow, it's just fantastic. It's pretty obvious that I set this one aside in the first place in order to conserve it!

When I nose it, it gives me a raisiny impression, more like an Armagnac than a whisky. On the palate, the malt asserts itself, but the sherry influence is quite strong. I couldn't detect any peat (and Speysiders generally have little or no peat to speak of).

If you enjoy barrel-proof bourbons like Stagg, this is a Scotch well worth looking into.

Virtuoso

I just poured from another one of my "forgotten" open bottles. This time, it's Compass Box Asyla, a blended Scotch (malt + grain whisky).

I've often heard of it referred to as a summer pour, but I'd say it's suitable for all seasons. It's roughly in the JW Black price bracket, but its profile reminds me of the late, lamented Campbeltown Loch 25; smoky yet sweet, with a vanilla tinge and a "toasty" nose. The malt portion of the blend makes itself known, while the grain whisky provides a lovely counterpoint.

They may not get the respect that single malts get, but well-crafted blended Scotches are highly enjoyable nonetheless - and I'll give John Glaser bonus points for his willingness to push the envelope (cf. the Spice Tree controversy).

Plucked another A'Bunadh tonight -- Batch #9. I have #8 and #16 open (current on shelves is #17). I think I'll save this one for a multi-national whisk(e)y lineup I'm mulling for the Sampler next spring.
    Tim

Connoisseur

Tonight I decided to step out of my normal zone and I purchased a bottle of Aberlour A'Bunadh (batch #16). My father in law is a Scotch drinker so I thought it might be nice to have a bottle for him to try (he has not had this one).
    As someone mentioned in the favorite bottle thread, I like this one as well. It has a clean classic look.
    I love the color of this, it is enticing, deep dark and rich looking.
    The Sherry really overpowers my nose, with a hint of the smokiness to come as well.
    The Sherry really comes through in the taste as well, along with a nice touch of smokiness and fruit. It is very smooth and creamy.
    The finish has a slight bitterness to it, but then fades to leave the taste of fruit (for me something like ripe plums).
    I very much enjoy the flavor, but my taste buds lean to the Bourbons and Irish more. This will be a great pour to have around for a change of pace. Seems the exploration will never end.

Todd

Connoisseur

We brought dinner over to the in-laws and I brought along my bottle of Aberlour A'bunadh for him to try. Well he wants to know how I discovered this little jewel. I of course gave SB.com all the credit...which did confuse him slightly. Nice bottle of Aberlour A'bunadh $60...making the father-in-law happy, priceless!

Todd