Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Novice

Question Jack Daniels Lem Motlow

Hi all,
    for an acquaintance over here in Switzerland I am looking for a (full) Jack Daniels bottle with a Lem Motlow label. The bottle should be in good condition (good label, no leakage), size preferably 70 centiliter (I guess a fifth comes close).

I already found a set of three bottles (a half pint, a pint and a fifth) but the owner will only sell the whole set and is not prepared to break it up.

Question: is anybody interested in the half pint and pint bottle so we can split up the set and share?
    Or: does anybody maybe have a Lem Motlow labeled Jack Daniels for sale?

I can arrange shipping to Europe so you don't have to worry about that.
    Love to hear from you...
    Hans (hjlhjl)

Disciple

Re: Jack Daniels Lem Motlow

Can't say that I have ever seen such an item, though I don't search for Jack often. Is this just a bottle of Jack with a different label?

Jeff Mo.

Guru

I would suggest you look up a SB.com member and a moderator here.
    His name is Scott, his screen name is HighTower, he has a large collection of Jack and I'm sure he can help.
    ovh

Virtuoso

Twenty something years ago when I worked at a liquor store in Atlanta we had a "Lem Motlow" whiskey, which was below the green Jack on the cost scale. I am pretty sure I subsequently learned that the distribution of it was very limited.

OK, from a quick google it looks as if it was only sold in Tennessee and Georgia and is no longer in production. It also looks as if I should have bought several cases, because it's going for a fortune these days.

Novice

thanks for the reactions.
    I know nothing about Jack Daniels and only offered to help to locate the bottle so I can't comment on 'when bottled' and 'where distributed'. What I did learn though is that the going price is pretty high here in Europe, which might explain why my acquainance is prepared to pay quite a bit (700+ USD range).

I will look into the the connection mentioned and keep you updated on my quest.
    Regards, Hans

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

What craigthom said is consistent with my knowledge about this product. It is a long-since-discontinued product of the Jack Daniel's Distillery that was never widely distributed. It also was a bottom shelf product, i.e., nothing special whiskey-wise, but that doesn't matter to many collectors.

I was surprised to learn, on my most recent visit to Lynchburg, that Lem Motlow whiskey was bottled until 1993. I'd assumed it was discontinued earlier.
    Tim

Guru

I bought a bottle of this in Memphis in the mid 80s. I think it was Memphis, could have been Atlanta. I recognized it as a Jack Daniels product and since it cost a lot less than the black label I figured it was worth a shot. The label said it was three years old. It was hot, harsh, thin and I never bought another.

Regards,
    Squire

Wink Re: Jack Daniels Lem Motlow

Quote Originally Posted by hjlhjl View Post
    Hi all,
    for an acquaintance over here in Switzerland I am looking for a (full) Jack Daniels bottle with a Lem Motlow label. The bottle should be in good condition (good label, no leakage), size preferably 70 centiliter (I guess a fifth comes close).

I already found a set of three bottles (a half pint, a pint and a fifth) but the owner will only sell the whole set and is not prepared to break it up.

Question: is anybody interested in the half pint and pint bottle so we can split up the set and share?
    Or: does anybody maybe have a Lem Motlow labeled Jack Daniels for sale?

I can arrange shipping to Europe so you don't have to worry about that.
    Love to hear from you...
    Hans (hjlhjl)
    I believe that I have a bottle or two of Lem Motlow in my collection somewhere...it's been awhile since I've been to the "back" of the closet, but if you are still interested, I would be willing to dig around back there and see what's up. Let me know.

Thanks,

Beo

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

There seems to be a new George Dickel Cascade Hollow Batch bottling. Apparently less than 3yo. This may be of interest in a comparison with the Lem Motlow. I haven't had it or seen it yet, but a store in Georgia lists it as available.
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile