Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Connoisseur

Re: Canadian Whisky Today

Quote Originally Posted by jburlowski View Post
    Forty Creek is the only one of the Canadians that I find myself going back to with any regularity.
    Strange that I wasn't as impressed with this whisky as others seem to be. I finished a bottle of it and to the last drop, the foremost flavour I discerned was alcohol. Mind you, I was just coming off of a bourbon kick, so probably any Canadian whisky would have tasted just as bland to me. I decided to give it another go after a while, and I definitely enjoyed the second bottle more. I find it to be hot and almost coppery on the nose.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by jinenjo View Post
    Is any Canadian Sb.com'er willing to trade or ship this? I've been dying to try it.
    Thought I'd give a balancing voice to all the praise I've heard heaped on this expression.

I bought 6 bottles of Alberta Premium 25 when it first became available at the LCBO because of all the hype (and I wanted to be sure I had some bunkered). Also bought some regular Alberta Premium NAS to compare it to. Yes I found it miles ahead of the regular NAS. All the reviews I heard mentioned it was "smooth as cognac" or some such. I found it rather harsh for a 25yr old. Not bad, but not great. Got rid of the rest of my bottles and forced one down. Got used to it a bit, but Alberta Premium has this acetone flavour that seems to be part of the house character - much more promemant in the NAS version than the 25yr old.

One of the reasons it may taste different is that all the whiskies in the blends are made from rye. Interesting in that I've tried both Rittenhouse and Old Overholt (thanks Gary) but this stuff I just can't get into. Lots of people seem to like this stuff a lot. And the price tag ($30 cdn) on a 25yr old whisky is significantly low. But I should point out that perhaps partly because of the use of rye by Alberta Distillers it does taste different from other Cdn whiskies. And different in a way that doesn't speak to me.

Enthusiast

Interesting thoughts, gentlemen.

Still wouldn't mind trying some of my own.

Eventually, perhaps soon, I'll pick up some FC Barrel Select.
    "It hasn't cured my broken heart, but it sure helps a lot."
    -Ernest Tubb

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by jinenjo View Post
    Interesting thoughts, gentlemen.

Still wouldn't mind trying some of my own.

Eventually, perhaps soon, I'll pick up some FC Barrel Select.
    Or you could ask a friend who's coming over soon, say this Sunday for instance, to bring a bottle of it along.

Roger

Enthusiast

Tried a sample of Wiser's Red Letter Whisky which is a limited edition Wisers. THE most impressive cdn whisky I've had to date! Overpriced at $150 IMHO, but very polished while strategicly leaving some unpolished bits for character. Nice (judicious) use of new oak. The Canadian answer to JW Blue!

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
    Tried a sample of Wiser's Red Letter Whisky which is a limited edition Wisers. THE most impressive cdn whisky I've had to date! Overpriced at $150 IMHO, but very polished while strategicly leaving some unpolished bits for character. Nice (judicious) use of new oak. The Canadian answer to JW Blue!
    You're a lucky guy!

Enthusiast

Well, lucky in that Toronto has tasting towers that I can try samples for a (very) moderate fee...