Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Virtuoso

In Praise of Eagle Rare 10 YO SB

As somewhat of a newbie, a year or so into my passion for truly good bourbon, I've gotta tip my hat to the folks at BT for a superb bourbon. There are other bourbons I like a bit more than ER, but I have found none yet that can approach the bottle to bottle consistency. EC 12, EC 18, even my beloved FR SB show a bit more bottle to bottle variation than the ER. I realize that sometimes this is a good thing, occasionally yeilding a great bottle, but I have yet to find a bottle of ER SB that wasn't simply as wonderful as the last bottle. A truly fine, dependable pour in my opinion. Yours?
    Cheers!

Guru

Re: In Praise of Eagle Rare 10 YO SB

I agree ER SB is consistent.

It's one of the best bourbon values available in MI. It's a regular (weekly) pour for me.

90 proof bourbons hit a sweet spot with me.

Enthusiast

Yeah, at about 18 bucks a bottle it's right up there with Wild Turkey for best value for the money in my book. I've had 4 bottles and have steadily acquiring more to put away for later. I just get the feeling that this brand may catch on and the price will steadily increase.

Chris

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Thumbs up Re: In Praise of Eagle Rare 10 YO SB

Quote Originally Posted by melting View Post
    Yeah, at about 18 bucks a bottle it's right up there with Wild Turkey for best value for the money in my book. I've had 4 bottles and have steadily acquiring more to put away for later. I just get the feeling that this brand may catch on and the price will steadily increase.

Chris
    Wow! At $18 a bottle, you're smart to pack it away while you can. That's a great price for ER SB. I purchased a bottle in Kentucky during KBF, and it was somewhere around $30.

JOE

Guru

We can score it out here, but paying close to $30. I must admit I liked it much better when it was closer to $20.

In my opinion consistency defines the label.
    Emancipate yourself from mental slavery. None but ourselves can free our minds.

Bob Marley.

Disciple

How is it that a single barrel stays so consistent? Seems like there should be some variations from bottle to bottle. BTW, I much preferred the 101 to the new SB, especially the price.

Jeff Mo.

Taster

Wholeheartedly agree with the original poster. A local liquor chain (Verutti Liquor) purchased a barrel and had it bottled for them. They picked a good one and they charge a very decent price ($19 if memory serves). Don't know how it compares with "regular" ER SB but its a great value either way.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe View Post
    Wow! At $18 a bottle, you're smart to pack it away while you can. That's a great price for ER SB. I purchased a bottle in Kentucky during KBF, and it was somewhere around $30.

JOE
    WOW!!! Up in TO the ERSB was being sold for $60 cdn not too long ago. Thought I was lucky to get one of the last bottles at $40 - and the Cdn/US $$'s are almost on par right now...

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

I think there may be some confusion, not just here but generally in the marketplace, between the 10-year-old Eagle Rare Single Barrel and the Eagle Rare 17-year-old that is part of the Antique Collection. The Single Barrel usually sells for $20 to $30 a bottle while the 17-year-old (which is not single barrel) sells for $45-$55. The bottles are very similar and both are 90 proof.

Enthusiast

I haven't been able to find the 10 year expression here in Wisconsin as of late. There seems to be plenty of the 17 however. I even made the trip to a Binny's location and came up dry. Am I the only one with a shortage of this whiskey? I haven't tried either one yet and have passed it up when I had the chance. Too much whiskey not enough time or money. I'll keep searching I'm sure I'll find it. Hopefully some Fleischman's Rye too.
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough". Mark Twain