Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Connoisseur

Re: Don't fall in the Weller!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ACDetroit View Post
    I'll PM you! I'm not sure why the market is good in Michigan. Our selection is good...not Kentucky but good. I do talk to store owners a great deal. As a mater of fact one called me today with pricing on a Barrel cost, he said we could split, do I end up with 109 bottles ! the ERSB 10yr. with my medalion on the neck in Michigan $3018.00. I had sticker shock, not sure if it's cheaper in other markets but he said we pay all the Michigan regulations and taxes so it was a bit high. He is also the guy with the Stagg, I'll go get you one tomorrow.

Tony

Dang, 109 bottle would be pretty awesome!!!! You'd never have to worry about a shortage again.

So, who would pick the barrel out? Would it be you and the owner or you would trust BT to do that for you? How great would that be if you could do it yourself?

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Virus_Of_Life View Post
    Hey Mark, I still know of a bottle or two of '06 stagg, pm me if you are interested.
    Thanks for the help, VOL, but as I just mentioned in the What bourbon did you purchase today? I'm all set for now. The key phrase being "for now"!

I truly do appreciate both yours and Tony's help with this, though.

Regards,

Mark

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by ACDetroit View Post
    I'll PM you! I'm not sure why the market is good in Michigan. Our selection is good...not Kentucky but good. I do talk to store owners a great deal. As a mater of fact one called me today with pricing on a Barrel cost, he said we could split, do I end up with 109 bottles ! the ERSB 10yr. with my medalion on the neck in Michigan $3018.00. I had sticker shock, not sure if it's cheaper in other markets but he said we pay all the Michigan regulations and taxes so it was a bit high. He is also the guy with the Stagg, I'll go get you one tomorrow.

Tony
    Looks like he was charging you the standard markup...when what he should be doing, is cutting you a break on the bottle price-something closer to the wholesale price-and making money on his part of the barrel, without the risk of buying an entire barrel himself. Even if he was to only mark up the bottles he sells you $1, he'd still make $109 off of one purchase of one customer.
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

You can go pick it yourself...it's a fun process. Hardhat tour, meet the Master Distiller, do barrel samples...I believe you even get the barrel it was in, all cleaned up and pretty.

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by barturtle View Post
    You can go pick it yourself...it's a fun process. Hardhat tour, meet the Master Distiller, do barrel samples...I believe you even get the barrel it was in, all cleaned up and pretty.
    That's unbelievable!!!! I would love to do that. Perhaps, once my business begins to do a bit better and actually grow, I will do that.

Just get a group to go in on it with you and you won't have to wait, everyone gets the chance to meet, do the tour and samples together...

I'm no Pappyophile

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by barturtle View Post
    Just get a group to go in on it with you and you won't have to wait, everyone gets the chance to meet, do the tour and samples together...
    Sounds like a great idea. Perhaps, next bourbon festival, I will pack up the wife and kids and come on down. Though, with an additional one on the way, due to arrive in May, I will probably not be able to make next years. But, Bourbon Festival '09 will certainly be in my sites.

Regards,

Mark

Virtuoso

Tim, you are right and thank you for your insight on this. I may check with some friends in KY who also have stores. I believe you have to have it shipped to a retailer. I'm looking for a group so if anyone is in let me know. I'm all for going down and sampling.

Tony
    "So long as the presence of death lurks with anyone who goes through the simple act of swallowing, I will make mine whiskey"

Advanced Taster

Maybe it's a Weller's thing, because I was about to have a pour from my Centennial and noticed the exact same thing. Glad to know it's not a huge deal.

Russ, getting in late on the third shift.

Quote Originally Posted by NickAtMartinis View Post
    Last night, I was sipping on some Weller Antique. While doing so, I popped down into my basement, magically of course (at least that's what I recall), to type out my "Third Shift" thread. Once finished, I floated up the stairs and, at the same time, took a sip of my Weller. While looking at the bottom of my glass, mid-sip, I spied a colony of inanimate foreign objects floating in my glass of bourbon! Once upstairs, I walked through the wall and into the kitchen and took a peek at my Weller Antique bottle and sure enough, at the bottom of the bottle was a bunch of white coconut-looking objects!!!! Of course, since I was magically appearing/reapearing at various levels of my house, walking through walls and floating up stairs, I figured I probably was seeing things. So, this morning, with my head on tall and straight, I checked my bottle of Weller again only to find the same set of circumstances.

Has this happened to anyone else? Anyone else notice coconut-looking objects floating in their bourbon bottles?! If so, what is the stuff? I was thinking that perhaps it was the coating on the inside of the bottle cap where the threads are but I haven't really checked the bottle cap.

Let me know if you've heard of this happening or if it's happened to you!

Thanks,

Mark Brown

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Ruby K View Post
    Maybe it's a Weller's thing, because I was about to have a pour from my Centennial and noticed the exact same thing. Glad to know it's not a huge deal.

Russ, getting in late on the third shift.

Good to see you, Russ. If you go to the Gazebo chat you will see a bunch of us in there.