Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 55
  1. #1
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Northford, CT
    Posts
    784

    Russell's Reserve or Rare Breed?

    This is for all you Wild Turkey lovers. And, yes, I am a convert!


    I came across two Wild Turkeys that I know are well received here, Russell's Reserve and Rare Breed. Which would you a prefer to drink?

    I'm leaning toward the Rare Breed since it's Barrel Proof! Is it really, though? Or, is it like the Old Granddad 114 where the old bottles said barrel proof but how could all the barrels come out at 114?! Well, I guess if you mingled enough together you could do it but...

    Anyway, if you'd like to tell me which you prefer, I'd greatly appreciate it. Once I find the general consensus here, I'll make a run to the liquor store to grab the declared winner.


    Thanks,

    Mark
    Last edited by NickAtMartinis; 11-02-2007 at 06:58.

  2. #2
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    NJ, USA
    Posts
    834

    Re: Russell's Reserve or Rare Breed?

    I prefer Rare Breed but enjoy both quite a bit. Yes, Rare Breed is barrel proof but the proof is lower due to WT's lower entry proof.


    Quote Originally Posted by NickAtMartinis View Post
    This is for all you Wild Turkey lovers. And, yes, I am a convert!


    I came across two Wild Turkeys that I know are well received here, Russell's Reserve and Rare Breed. Which would you a prefer to drink?

    I'm leaning toward the Rare Breed since it's Barrel Proof! Is it really, though? Or, is it like the Old Granddad 114 where the old bottles said barrel proof but how could all the barrels come out at 114?! Well, I guess if you mingled enough together you could do it but...

    Anyway, if you'd like to tell me which you prefer, I'd greatly appreciate it. Once I find the general consensus here, I'll make a run to the liquor store to grab the declared winner.


    Thanks,

    Mark
    Tim

    I am going where streams of whiskey are flowing...

  3. #3
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Northford, CT
    Posts
    784

    Re: Russell's Reserve or Rare Breed?

    Quote Originally Posted by DrinkyBanjo View Post
    I prefer Rare Breed but enjoy both quite a bit. Yes, Rare Breed is barrel proof but the proof is lower due to WT's lower entry proof.

    Thanks for the info Tim. I'm leading toward Rare Breed because of the whole Barrell Proof statement. However, I noticed something on Wild Turkey's website. It has Russell's Reserve listed as 101 proof which certainly makes sense since WT's penchent for that proof but the RR I saw had only a 90 proof, I believe.

    Has my already poor memory failed me once again or are there two versions of the RR?

  4. #4
    Virtuoso
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    1,394

    Re: Russell's Reserve or Rare Breed?

    Quote Originally Posted by NickAtMartinis View Post
    Has my already poor memory failed me once again or are there two versions of the RR?
    There are indeed two versions, and this was a major topic of discussion not too long ago. Check the archives and you'll see just how betrayed many sb.commies felt by this watering down.

    Roger "Read All About It" Hodges

    By the way, there were some who preferred the new higher-priced, pre-diluted-for-your-convenience version.

  5. #5
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    NJ, USA
    Posts
    834

    Re: Russell's Reserve or Rare Breed?

    To make it easier on you the current bottling is 90 proof and the previous one was 101. They are easily distinguished as the bottles are clearly different. Most prefer the 101 but the 90 is some fine whiskey too.



    Quote Originally Posted by Rughi View Post
    There are indeed two versions, and this was a major topic of discussion not too long ago. Check the archives and you'll see just how betrayed many sb.commies felt by this watering down.

    Roger "Read All About It" Hodges

    By the way, there were some who preferred the new higher-priced, pre-diluted-for-your-convenience version.
    Tim

    I am going where streams of whiskey are flowing...

  6. #6
    Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Sandy Eggo
    Posts
    384

    Re: Russell Reserve or Rare Breed?

    I found some RR 101 and have had the Rare Breed. I'm not a Turkey fan and most often I refer to most products as: "Buzzard Juice". I just find everything very 'hot'. Although it has been awhile since I had any Kentucky Spirit and I am looking for RRR and American Spirit but have yet to spot any in any So Cal location. The only WT I have is RR101 tucked away somewhere since I didn't care for it.
    The avatar is me as a little tyke.

  7. #7
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West of the Rockies
    Posts
    2,585

    Re: Russell Reserve or Rare Breed?

    I've found if I use the search function I can usually find an abundance amount of material regarding most the items I am interested in and often don't have to start a new thread for every topic...
    C

    "everybody defamates from miles away
    but face to face
    they haven't got a thing to say"

  8. #8
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Northford, CT
    Posts
    784

    Re: Russell Reserve or Rare Breed?

    Quote Originally Posted by Virus_Of_Life View Post
    I've found if I use the search function I can usually find an abundance amount of material regarding most the items I am interested in and often don't have to start a new thread for every topic...



    Actually, more often than not, I use the search function. However, I wanted to get a consensus of the current membership on their preference between the two bourbons. For this, I would not use the search function.

    Now, if I wanted to find out something like, which distillery Blanton's derives from, then I'd use the search function.

    Thanks for the advice. As a result, I'll do a search to see if a similar thread to this has already been written.

    Just one quick note. If you're not interested in this or any thread that I start, I won't be offended if you don't respond.

    Regards,

    Mark

  9. #9
    Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Sandy Eggo
    Posts
    384

    Re: Russell Reserve or Rare Breed?

    Whoops, I forgot to say I prefer Rare Breed.

    On another note, why aren't the 'super' threads stickied? I know there's a wealth of info on this site, but there should be a WT thread stickied with factual info about their different lines etc...

    Even more so for the older distilieries that have a longer history and more products.
    The avatar is me as a little tyke.

  10. #10
    Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Kentucky!
    Posts
    4,749

    Re: Russell Reserve or Rare Breed?

    Quote Originally Posted by Phischy View Post
    On another note, why aren't the 'super' threads stickied? I know there's a wealth of info on this site, but there should be a WT thread stickied with factual info about their different lines etc...

    Even more so for the older distilieries that have a longer history and more products.
    If we stickied all of the super threads, you would have to click through several pages to get to the newest posts, besides by taking the time to read through other posts trying to find the info you want you learn more.
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

    As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

    I'm no Pappyophile

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. RR VS Rare Breed
    By GoodDram in forum New to Straightbourbon
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 03-08-2007, 17:49
  2. Wild Turkey Rare Breed/Woodford Reserve
    By Briscott99 in forum New to Straightbourbon
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-16-2006, 06:40
  3. When was Rare Breed introduced?
    By Hedmans Brorsa in forum General Bourbon Discussion
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 05-02-2006, 08:45

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Back to top