Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Enthusiast

Re: Russell Reserve or Rare Breed?

I'd recommend the Rare Breed also. I always keep a bottle on hand and WT products are my favorite by far. Having said that, I've never really had a bottle of Russell's Reserve that I really cared for. I've been through two bottles of the 90 proof and just found it to be ok, with a kind of weird aftertaste.

Chris

Disciple

Re: Russell's Reserve or Rare Breed?

Quote Originally Posted by NickAtMartinis View Post
    This is for all you Wild Turkey lovers. And, yes, I am a convert!

I came across two Wild Turkeys that I know are well received here, Russell's Reserve and Rare Breed. Which would you a prefer to drink?

I'm leaning toward the Rare Breed since it's Barrel Proof! Is it really, though? Or, is it like the Old Granddad 114 where the old bottles said barrel proof but how could all the barrels come out at 114?! Well, I guess if you mingled enough together you could do it but...

Anyway, if you'd like to tell me which you prefer, I'd greatly appreciate it. Once I find the general consensus here, I'll make a run to the liquor store to grab the declared winner.

Thanks,

Mark
    Mark,

For me it is an easy choice. RR 101 is a much better whiskey to my personal preferences. I do also think this is a question about what stile you prefer. As I see it the 2 are in the opposite corner of eat other with RR 101 being the punchiest bourbon from the distillery in resent time and RB being far on the mild side despite barrel proof. I do also prefer RR 90 far before RB as well.

Leif
    Swedish lover of American whiskey

Connoisseur

Re: Russell's Reserve or Rare Breed?

Mark, I would say Rare Breed. When you take into account that Rare Breed can be had for under $35, it makes it an easier decision.

Of course in due time you'll probably end up buying whichever one you pass on just to satisfy your curiosity. The good news is....all WT products are good!

Greg
    "That rug really tied the room together" -- Jeffery Lebowski

Guru

Thumbs up Re: Russell Reserve or Rare Breed?

I prefer Rare Breed. It is one of my favorite bourbons at any price. It is always rich and full-flavored. It stands up better to serving on the rocks than almost anything else I can think of.

Just my two-cents worth, YMMV, etc, etc.

Tim
    Self-Styled Whisky Connoisseur

For whatever it's worth, these are the two Wild Turkey bourbons I don't particularly care for in any iteration.
    Tim

Guru

Taste wise Rare breed! But if the bottles of RR sitting on the shelf waiting to be purchased are the old 101 proof version I would get them while they last. If you like Wild Turkey you won't be disapointed with either.

Virtuoso

I have to put my vote in for the RR 101. I have not had the 90 proof yet but have picked up the last five 101'a I've come across. Better make that 4 I gave one to a buddy of mine...he brought me my BTAC from KY . You know now that I think about it he was going to sign up? HEY HOGBEN I know your lurking so get you but to the new to SB.com brother. OH yeah and next time you up make it a Friday .

Tony
    "So long as the presence of death lurks with anyone who goes through the simple act of swallowing, I will make mine whiskey"

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by ACDetroit View Post
    I have to put my vote in for the RR 101. I have not had the 90 proof yet but have picked up the last five 101'a I've come across. Better make that 4 I gave one to a buddy of mine...he brought me my BTAC from KY . You know now that I think about it he was going to sign up? HEY HOGBEN I know your lurking so get you but to the new to SB.com brother. OH yeah and next time you up make it a Friday .

Tony

I'd get the RR but it's only the 90 proof. I'm running out now to get RB. Liquor stores in CT close at 9PM if you can believe that.

Connoisseur

Thanks everyone for all your help and participation. It was certainly very much appreciated. I'm heading out now to grab me some RB.

I'll let you all know what I think.

Thanks,

Mark

Connoisseur

how's it going with the RBreed?

as i've said here in my few posts, i WAS very impressed with the RR 90...and though i prefer the bite of regular WT 101, the RR 90 was a really nice, spikey-mellow (and complex enough) example of pure alchemy.

i admit, i haven't found a bottle of the RR 101....and really really want to...but i totally recommend the 90. wonderful stuff.

cheers
    andy

p.s.
    your report on the RB might cause me to go ahead and lake a run for it myself...on sale now in PA lcb stores for $29.99......
    HUP!