Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Connoisseur

Re: Russell Reserve or Rare Breed?

Quote Originally Posted by Sijan View Post
    I agree with the WTKS votes. It is the best regularly available WT bottling.

I am not sure between RR101 and RB, as I like both quite a bit, but I would definitely pick RB over RR90.
    To me, RR101 tastes like a more 'tame' version of RB. If you want a more mellow, slow ride then go with RR101. If you want a bit quicker pace and spark to the tastebuds, go with RB. IMHO, RR101 and KS are closer to the old reliable WT8 than anything else currently on the market from WT. Just the same, both are fantastic pours with KS a slight cut above them.

Guru

Roger,

Your comparison reminds me of one I did about five years ago.

It's amazing to me that even above the 99th percentile there's still room for a clear superiority, at least to one person's palate, of one bottling over another.

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield
    Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

Dog Lover, Euphonium Player, Campfire Guitarist, Marksman,

Disciple

I agree with Dave about WT12's clear superiority over WTKS, although my own comparison where it blew away the competition was against RR101, at the time one of my favorite bottlings. I was really surprised by how thin and flat my formerly beloved RR101 tasted after I'd had WT12. WT12 is one of my very favorite bourbons. Sadly, it is no longer available in the states, unless you get lucky and find a dusty bottle.
    Last edited by Sijan; 12-25-2007 at 19:12.
    -Dan

Who stole the cork from my breakfast?

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Sijan View Post
    Sadly, it is no longer available in the states, unless you get lucky and find a dusty bottle.
    I have often wondered if WT will ever again offer a 12yo to the U.S. market. Seems like it would do very well in today's marketplace of high demand for older bourbon. With the WT brand recognition and the high regard for the gold foil and split labels, it seems like a 'no-brainer' to me. However, perhaps the majority of 12yo barrels are already committed to the RB recipe and there are simply none to be had for individual offering. Is their still a 12yo offered to the international market from WT?

Apprentice

While my analysis was not so amusing as Dave's it sounds like the bottom line is that there is no shame in coming in second to WT12. I haven't had the pleasure of its company.

Roger

Virtuoso

To my understanding Jake the 12 yr. has been gone for a little while now. They are dusties even in Japan now. I spoke to a customer who has family in Japan and the last bottle of WT 12yr. he got from home was $500.00 USD ! I know the 8 yr. old can still be picked up going to Canada from the U.S.

Tony
    "So long as the presence of death lurks with anyone who goes through the simple act of swallowing, I will make mine whiskey"

Bad Girl and Bourbonian Of The Year 2012

Quote Originally Posted by ACDetroit View Post
    To my understanding Jake the 12 yr. has been gone for a little while now. They are dusties even in Japan now. I spoke to a customer who has family in Japan and the last bottle of WT 12yr. he got from home was $500.00 USD ! I know the 8 yr. old can still be picked up going to Canada from the U.S.

Tony
    Wow! I'll sell one for $500!!!! Hot Damn!!!

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by ACDetroit View Post

Tony
    That explains it. My brother noticed that I've got a bottle of WT 8yo on the shelf. I hadn't noticed it myself, I'm ashamed to admit. I know I picked it up within the last five or six years, but I couldn't remember where. It must have been at a duty free shop, probably at the Ambassador Bridge. Or maybe at Port Huron. Or the Soo.

Connoisseur

Yep, the 'transition' was a slick bit of subtle marketing. A lot of us did not notice it for a while. In terms of WT, the next best thing to finding a WT12 is finding an 8.

Advanced Taster

In order, WTRB, WTRR101, WTRR90. I've been purposely buying and bunkering the WTRR101 without any fear (or hope) of consuming my growing supply of it during my lifetime.
    Murf

"...A good bowl of Wheaties with bourbon can't be beat." Dizzy Dean, The Gashouse Gang, 1934.